Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Last shift we ran a fire involving a large outdoor cable box with a separate power/amplifier box. We handled the incident without a problem, using a large dry chemical extinguisher to put out the fire.

This incident brought many questions to light and I was wondering if anyone out there has any training or experience with these cable boxes.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We thought we had one of those, come to find out it was a transformer. We just baby sat it and waited for the utility company to show it. It did cause another small fire down the street and a few smoke scare....pretty entertaining. Im going to assume it was from the "dirty" electricity. I know I did nothin for your question...lol. I would do that same as you did.
Didn't want to throw anything out there right away, as I'm not terribly knowledgeable on this - just have enough to get myself in trouble.

Most cable systems should be running a fairly low voltage on the distribution end of things. The amplifier is where you are going to get into trouble - that amplifier is likely powered 120VAC (or more???) as it is using the power to create a more powerful signal for the everyday Joe sitting at home watching television. I would treat something like this, with an amplifier that potentially still has power as a live electrical fire. Certainly, an ABC or BC drychem is a good option. A CO2 would be okay too. I've now run across a "water mist" extinguisher. This type is filled with de-ionized water. Something like this could work too. Locally, our hospital has these in rooms with CT scan machines and the like. The beauty of them is that you are dealing with pure h2o, and everything is balanced - no spare electrons floating around to get you fried.
The key to this is to know exactly what you are dealing with. Many of these "boxes" look alike but contain all sorts of different things. First priority is life safety - No one close don't risk your life. Next, is the power source secure? If you don't know, let it be. If it turns out to be a power transformer rather than a cable or phone box, there is no telling what is in it. Many transformers are oil filled and have ceramic insulators in them. Older transformers used to have oil with pcb's in them. That has been outlawed and they have been dumped and refilled with new oil. However, The pcb residue is still in them and thats a big hazard. Ceramic insulators will explode if they are cooled and then they reheat due to re ignition caused by electricity. This will even occur when using a dry chemical fire extintuisher. Best bet... Get the utility on the way and sit basck at a safe distance and wait

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service