Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hey troops...

Everyone is now fully aware that Hydrogen Cyanide is a nasty bugger. It is present at the earliest stages of combustion, causes havoc with our mental and physical abilities and is a proven cause of firefighter death.

One of the prevailing solutions to resolving the Hydrogen Cyanide problem is to put detectors on those involved on the interior. My question is where are we going to place all the detectors for the various toxic, carcinogenic and ashpyxiating components of smoke that EVERYONE with a clue knows is present at every fire we go to these days?

Where does the Benzene detector go?
Where does the Phosgene detector go?
Is a PAH detector feasible?
And how effective are these detectors going to be getting banged around in the average fire?

Why trust more technology when we can simply follow the ROAM and not breathe the poisons in the first place?

Just askin....

Mike

Views: 97

Replies to This Discussion

Mike,

Good prompt for a discussion...

There have been several recent reports, studies, articles, etc...
All acknowledge (on the surface) that products of combustion are bad for our health – we know that already.

All these sources also assert that "further study is needed" in order to determine when lower levels of respiratory protection are appropriate... Huh?
Although I believe in further study to solidify our stance and know our enemy - we know that the likely outcome of such studies will continue to illustrate that post fire environments are BAD. I'd be willing to bet some ICE CREAM that these studies will find even more awful nasty bad stuff in the air...

Furthermore – the fire service has barely scratched the surface on skin absorption. My hope is that the IAFF’s work on CBRN bunking gear will help with that somewhat.
Information is available at: http://www.iaff.org/hs/Project%20HEROES.htm

The stance must be - WEAR YOUR MASK - period ! I know I'm preachin' to the choir here bro' - but the reality is ALL departments must make the use MANDATORY and have the cajones (ie- leadership and accountability) to follow through. Some have suggested this approach is micro-managing - I completely disagree with that concept.
The consequences (short or long term) are far too costly. How many has the SFD lost recently to cancers? Too many.

Again – further study? GOOD. Wearing your mask during overhaul? PRICELESS !!!

Thanks Mike – Stay Safe.

jmh

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service