Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Jim Mason's Comments

Comment Wall (122 comments)

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

At 3:12pm on November 7, 2008, Todd Trudeau said…
Thanks Jim, do you have a specific outline of scenerios/materials used consistently with your new officers?
If so, did your dept. develop its' own or are you aware of literature available in this area i.e. powerpoints, handouts, outlines?
At 1:17pm on November 7, 2008, Todd Trudeau said…
Hi Jim, I'm new to the sight today and I see you provide training for Company Officers. I'm trying to develop an officer mentoring program in my department (initially for new Lt's). Do you have any info that I could build from? We currently have seniority promotions with little prep for new officers. Thanks, Todd
At 11:37am on November 6, 2008, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
Hi Jim. Sounds great. I'll be attending FDIC to present again and always look forward to getting together with some of the Brothers.
Drop me a line advising when you'll be there, we can compare schedules.
Stay safe, Michael
At 10:16pm on November 5, 2008, Scott Kleinschmidt said…
Jim,
Can you shoot me a email at scott463@sbcglobal.net?
At 9:21pm on November 5, 2008, Darin Keith said…
Jim, you are correct it was the fire dynamics class. It was my first time out to FDIC and I loved it!
At 7:41pm on November 5, 2008, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC said…
Not sure on that one. Give me a buzz either tonight or tomorrow. I will be on the road to the Chicagoland area starting at 0400 tomorrow morning.
At 11:22pm on November 3, 2008, Erich Roden said…
Thanks for the kind words on the site. How's things down south in Chi-town?
At 7:45pm on November 3, 2008, Scott Kleinschmidt said…
Jim,
Thanks and yes I am currently assigned to the heavy ( best spot on the job). I like the fact that we can discuss Tactics and share ideas. I am by no means an expert and am always seeking knowledge and insite. I am a true believer there is lots of good info out there to be shared, but also a lot of fire ground "urban" myths. I hope to keep gaining and sharing in these discussions.

Scott
At 6:53pm on November 3, 2008, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
Hey Jim. Thanks for the welcome aboard. I have already posted to few of the discussions.
Yes, I spent about ten years working with Bobby and we have established a nice "love hate" relationship. We hate to love each other but... Ha.
Actually, Bobby and I are old friends, we speak regularly and I look forward to seeing him annually at FDIC.
At 6:32pm on November 3, 2008, Darin Keith said…
I can not remember if it was Fire Dynamics for the Fire Service or Modern Residential Fire Tactics. It was one of them.
At 10:36am on October 31, 2008, Darin Keith said…
Lt. Mason,
Just wanted to say Hey there. I actually sat next to you in one of my classes at FDIC this year and unfortunatly I did not know who you were until after the class.

Stay Safe
At 8:56pm on October 28, 2008, Brenda Tenney said…
Hey Jim,I just got back from and meeting at our FD,mainly on talking with the exployer group,at the station.We are already getting these young men to go to classes,and they go though and burn class. But before they can actually began to fight fires ,they will have to be 18 to 21,They will have to go though all the training,,courses .
I have sent and invitation to our Chief of our Dept to join this site,and he will in turn,bring the attention to the other fire fighters of our dept.
The young exployer's are really excited about learning and go from there, Be safe Brenda
At 2:23pm on October 27, 2008, Jim Wilk said…
Jim,
I started out in Lyons, then got hired in Bedford Park currently on our Tower. This is a great group. It seems a lot of times people don't use common sense on the fireground anymore. Hopefully more will join. I am always looking for classes or seminars on truck work or tower ladder training. If you know of any please let me know. Stay safe.
At 8:13pm on October 23, 2008, Nick Morgan said…
Hey Jim, Thanks for writing back! I'm currently assigned to Lambert Airport ARFF District, but my heart is on the truck. I spent almost 5 years on H&L 15, which is our busiest Truck. I also spent 6 years on Rescue Squad 2, which is the busiest Squad and primarily does Truck work at fires. Even my experience on an Engine in St Louis involves occasional truck duties because of our Quint system. Also the years I spent both as a volunteer firefighter and US Air Force firefighter also frequently involved truck work. Firefighter basics and firefighter safety and survival issues, like building construction and fire behavior, are my passion. You can never know too much on this job; and when I've helped teach Recruit classes, I always tell them that what you don't know CAN hurt you! Stay safe brother and keep in touch!
At 8:59pm on October 22, 2008, Tim Olk said…
I Need To Come Down And Take A Better Picture For You
At 6:55pm on October 16, 2008, Joe Heim said…
Jim,

Every month we do officer development training which will range anywhere from leadership to tabletop scenarios on different bldgs. in are response area. For our hands on drills we put the officers in different rolls from Company officer to IC due to the fact that they could be put into the IC roll anytime and we then allow our firefighters to act up as company officers. All of our officers are issued portable radios and we stress that anyone of them can call a MABAS Box on there way to the station if they feel that the emergency may dictate it, we feel that it is easier to turn around mutual aid than wait until we get there and find out we needed 5 minutes ago.
At 9:50pm on October 15, 2008, Brenda Tenney said…
Thanks Jim,we do have alot of duties,I would say we have around 50+,and we are now going to start and program for Exployers,the 14 to 18 year old,where these young guys can learn,and help ,but they can not enter and structure until they have finish the academy ,when they turn of age.But,this will give the young guys something they will learn by leaders of our dept,Explain more later,am at work.Most of the pictures I have taken for the Fd is in and alburn,for now on,i will get and disk made ,so i can enter the pictures i take of scenes on here.God Bless ,Brenda
At 8:34pm on October 14, 2008, Mark Belanger said…
Hey Jim,
I looked over the blog you posted. They should open up some good discussions.

We’re hanging in as best as we can at the FD. Most of our Engine Co. is in service. The union has a temporary restraining order against the city to not take any more of our pay. We lost 20% of Sept. pay checks though. Other than that it’s business as usual in the ghetto.

Take care Bro. and be safe
At 8:05am on October 13, 2008, Michael Posner said…
will do my brother....how are things in the "windy" city....sorry about the Cubbies!
At 7:25pm on May 7, 2008, Jim Mason said…
To all the new friends I busting my butt on the upcomming Captains exam and I;ll be back in circulation in mid june 2008. take care all
Jim Mason
Chicago Fire Dept.

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service