At around 9:10 AM, Monday, June 8, 2009, a fire erupted in the basement of a 2-story Cape Cod single family home in College Park . Contract workers were using a hand-held blow torch fueled by a small acetylene tank to remove old adhesive material from the basement floor. The heat from the torch ignited combustible materials and the fire rapidly spread throughout the basement. The privately owned house is rented out to four students that attend the University of Maryland-College Park; two students were at work and two students were at home when the fire started. A combination of the contractors warning of “fire”, a neighbor banging on doors and windows and the activation of smoke alarms alerted the two male occupants to exit the house. They did so safely prior to the Fire Departments arrival.