Paid fire department
Top issues in your department:
Safe Staffing, Health and Safety
Professional Qualifications:
Fire Instructor I, FOII, Pump Operator, HAZ-MAT Tech., EMT
Topics you provide training for:
Extrication, RIT OPS, Building Construction, Occupant protection Systems
Areas of expertise:
Not an expert, but spend lots of time researching and studying, Extrication, Occupant Protection Systems, Safe Staffing
Bio:
Chris Pepler has over 18 years of experience in the fire service. He has been a career firefighter with the City of Torrington (CT) for the past eight years.

Chris has been a certified fire service instructor since 1997 and is a member of the International Society of Fire Service Instructors (ISFSI). He is an instructor for the Connecticut Fire Academy and the Wolcott State Fire Training School.

Chris is the Director of Training for Emergency Training Solutions, LLC (ETS). As such, he is responsible for the coordination of all on site training services to customers throughout the U.S. He Co-authored the ETS Vehicle Extrication Program
He has lectured extensively on the subject of Vehicle Occupant Protection Systems and Vehicle Extrication.

He has served as a Union Official for the past 5 years and is currently the Union President.
Web site:
http://www.etsrescue.com

Comment Wall:

• Brenda Murphy Tenney

Chris - Welcome aboard CFA! How's life in the hills?
  • Timothy Overly

I've come to learn that even though the circus(departments) changes, all of the clowns are the same!!!!!!
  • Timothy Overly

Where to start?..... We have a Chief who is the complete pawn of city hall. A Training Officer who does not train. He "facliltates" the training(gets someone else to do it). We are unable to attend the New York State Fire Academy (20 miles away and courses are $25) because it may create overtime. However, we can go across the country for Haz Mat courses that are DHS reimbursed. We don't do fire suppression skills training unless it is done at the company level. Officer's can't get any new training because it may cause OT. Morale Sucks. Constant threat of layoffs, while the PD is fully staffed and funded.
    On the plus side, My shift does do fire training as I am a NY State Fire Instructor and use all of my resourses to ensure my crews are WELL trained and we all go home at the end of the shift. I have made it my purpose to be a pain in the a** to all who don't want to help us do well, including command staff. I've already been screwed over for promotion to Captain once, so I may as well as fight for my crews safety. Oh yeah, our Fire Chief and Safety/Training Officer just changed our apparatus policy so that seat belts use is not required and left up to the individual FF, not the Officer. What do you think about that fine leadership?? Done ranting for now, thanks for letting me vent. Stay safe and I hope to talk to you later.
  • Jim Duffy

My best advice is " Don't get caught in one"
    Only kidding I wll think about it and look through my archives. and I will post
    Duff
  • George H. Potter

Chris,
    I would like very much to join your Flashover forum. I have developed a 2 day HOT course on this for Spanish FF's, with what has been considered as one of the most complete texts available here. If you're OK let me know.
    George Potter
    Madrid, Spain
  • Joseph McElroy

Did you see the paper today with the B.O.S. comment? They are so worried about money. What about public safety?
  • Michael Gavin

I wish I could. Im working a second job as well on a private ambulance trying to pay the bills off. Im also taking a pump and hydraulic class at the state academy(on my own) right about the sae time.
  • Jim Duffy

Chris
    Are you going to FDIC ?
    I am flying out tommorrow @ 6am
  • Bryn Crandell

Thanks Chris. It was a good time at FDIC.

Bryn
  • George H. Potter

Chris,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The Spanish fire services are somewhat varied. Firstly, the public FD's or "Servicios de Extinción de Incendios y de Salvamento" (S.E.I.S.) are managed at diverse levels; municipal SEIS in neraly all of the 50 provincial capital cities, plus regional or provincial services run by the governments of these areas. There are approximately 16.000 firefighters in these public SEIS. There is no unified national fire service except at the 39 airports managed by the national aviation authority, with some 1,000 FF's. Another some 1,600 volunteers are located in specific regions; Catalonia, Galicia and a few more. There are paid FF's at the 6 nuclear plants, 10 petrochem plants and some 50 other major industrial complexes. The totoal number of firefighters here is some 20,000. The public service troops generally do 24 hour duty shifts with up to 120 hours off (labor unions have influenced labor laws which permit only some 1,700 working hours annually, so that these guys can't retire before they reach 60 or so years of age.There are hundreds of first responders in their late 50's and early 60's.

Pumpers are rear mounted PTO driven units, most commonly 400 gpm models. Aerials are either rear-mounts, 65, 75 and 100 foot length, although there are 5 or 6 160 ft. units, or articulated / telescopic hydraulic platforms from 70 to 140 ft.
    All are mounted on commercial chassis. There are also a number of special service vehicles; rescue, haz-mat. air support and most recently, incidend command units.

Staffing is the major drwback here. While major municipalities will respond with up to 15 FF's on first response with a capability of mustering upwards of 49 - 50 more within 15 minutes, the world's highest density hi-rise city has one station manned by an average of 10 including officers, and cannot count on reinforcements in less than 1/2 hour. There are many FD's in smaller towns responding with normally 3 and occaisionaly 2 or even 1 on first response engines.
    Senior officers here are a breed of their own. Nearly all are technical university graduates; architects, engineers, etc., but with NO in-depth fire fighting experience. Nearly all have learned OJT, from command positions.
    There are some recent national standard qualifications for FF's, and the Bastional Firefighters' Association, ASELF is working on common training criteria.
    I hope this gives you some useful info.
    Keep safe over there.

George Potter
  • James Ricci Jr.

Chris

Hope all is well?
    Do you or do you know of any dept. in this state that the firefighters are able to wear the union logo IAFF patch on their dept. uniforms.

Thanks
    Jim
  • Anthony Avillo

ok
    not sure what that means but thanks
  • Anthony Avillo

ok thanks
    have many things on the burners right now but will utilize this opportunity as soon as i can
    stay safe
    aa