Professional Qualifications:
Nationally Certified Fire Instructor
Topics you provide training for:
Engine & Truck Company Operations
Large Area Search
Rapid Intervention Teams
Auto Extrication
Bio:
Appointed to the FDNY in 1991. Served as a Firefighter in Ladder Company 132 "The Eye of The Storm" and Rescue Company 2. Promoted to Lieutenant and assigned to Tower Ladder 111 "The Nuthouse Truck" in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn.
Member of the East Quogue Volunteer Fire Department. Served 3 terms as Chief of Department and currently serve as a Fire Commissioner
Deputy Chief Instructor for 12 years at the Suffolk County Fire Academy
Instructor for PL Vulcan Fire Training Concepts. This group was formed on the philosophies of our friend and mentor Lt Pete Lund (FDNY R2) who died in the line of duty 2005.
Married with 2 kids ages 8 and 10.
Web site:
http://PLVulcanFireTrainingConcepts.com

Comment Wall:

• Scott LaPrade

Mr. Gregory, were you working last night or should I say this a.m.? For Jeferson St?
  • Mark Gregory

Frank, I will take a look at it today. Thank you for the invite to participate.
  • bill noonan

Hi Mark, nice to hear from you, hope all is well...BILL
  • Pat Nichols

good to be here!
  • Christopher A. Barry, Sr.

Thanks for your contributions to the group. Glad to know you.

-Chris
  • Michael Bricault (ret)

Hi Mark,
    I was reading the V.E.S. posting and one other thing I would mention about V.E.S. is that it is not for everyday, garden variety fire use. It is most appropriate when there is a High or Urgent Rescue Profile; in other words, when there is a very high suspicion or direct knowledge that there indeed is a victim in need of rescue.
    I'm a firm believer in V.E.S. techniques, I've performed them and seen them produce amazing results. As you mention, it should be performed by experienced members and only when appropriate based on the specific rescue profile.
  • Michael Bricault (ret)

Hey Mark,
    here in Albuquerque we have been using the P.A.R. for some time. It works well. As you mentioned, it is quick and to the point and takes up little precious air time. It is usually called for by the battalion in charge every fifteen minutes and anytime there is a dynamic event on the fire ground. Highly recommend it along with C.A.N. reports. Conditions, Actions, Needs. Really fast radio traffic.
    On this same note, we have been using clear text radio traffic and it seems to be taking longer to transmit info than using the ten codes. I know many people like the clear text, especially since every agency seems to use a different code. This gets very problematic when interacting with PD, private ambulances and mutual aid.
    That being said, I still believe, maybe erroneously, that ten codes are a faster and easier way of talking.
  • John Mogan

Assigned to Truck 32. Don't know Jim Regan.
  • John Mogan

That explains it.We run with Squad 1 90% of the time.
  • bill noonan

Mark, congrats' on your award, very well deserved I'm sure,
  • Josh Nichols

My name is Josh Nichols from North Carolina. I took your truck company class in Richmond a few years ago with Lt. Lund. You and your guys rode with us to eat that night. Just thought I would leave you a message. Nice job on the grab in firehouse magazine. Looking foward to training with you on this page.
  • Tim Linke

Thank you, sir...I've read some of your stuff and it's great!!!
  • Brian Dalrymple

Lt. Gregory, I met you a few years ago when you, your guys and the last Lt. Lund where in Richmond Va. I still draw from things you showed us on that roof. I've had a little debate going on in my head for a while know. I'm a new Lieutenant of a Rescue company in Richmond and have gone back and forth about what kind of tool should be in my hands. Do I bring a something to go to work with? Like haligan bar and haligan hook. Or just something for emergencies, like a small 24" haligan. What do you carry as a truck company officer?
  • Brian Dalrymple

Actually, I put the lock pulling V on my 24" halligan also. Is yours 24" or smaller?
  • Brian Dalrymple

Thanks Lt. Like I said, I've gone back and forth on that one for a while now. Is it still that case in the FDNY that the officers are not supposed to carry "large" tools, hence the development of "officers tools"?
  • Barry Aptt

Good to see you on here again brother. I just started a discussionin on riding positions, tools to carry etc any adivce?
  • Barry Aptt

Just got your message. Position tools and your answer is something I was looking for thanks
  • chris conforti

That makes sense. Thank you for getting back to me.
    Chris Conforti
  • Brian Dalrymple

Mark,
    I while back we talked about different halligan took modifications. You mentioned that you had added a lock puller to one that you had. Do you think you could send me a picture of the modification you did? You can shoot it to my work email: brian.dalrymple@richmondgov.com. I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Brian
  • Barry Aptt

Mark, I'm trying to get the time off so I can come to the ladder ops class in Leominster I am sure it'll be worth it
  • jake youkers

hey mark tht was relly good trainnning and u guys did a good job ok and if by any chance can i get a ladder 111 shirt message me back
  • Jill Howell

Hi Mark, I'm nobody, just an old grandma but I have a "burning" question for you or anyone else here that might know.

A few days ago, during some pretty bad visibility weather my sister and I were sitting at the end of South Jamesport Avenue (in Jamesport:) 40 56 02 42N and 72 34 35 02W (latitude and longitude).

Looking across and slightly to the west we saw what must have been a white water tower above the trees in the distance.

We've been going nuts since trying to figure out the location of the tower.

Google earth seems to place it as somewhere around East Quogue. IF that's human visibility possible. If not, it seems it would have to be in Flanders somewhere.

IF it was a little farther west it's also possible it might have been the one near the police facility impound yard on Drag street in Westhampton (off Old Country Road, around the RR tracks. That one is at least white but it doesn't appear big enough to be visible.

There's also one on Old Meeting House Road in Quiogue but that one's red and white.

We've not been able to locate any other in Flanders OR East Quogue although both seem to have been considered as cites for fire observation towers at some time. I don't know when, or if, that was ever done.

So....If you have any ideas and the time, we'd be grateful if you can help us get to the bottom of this mystery.

And yes, we both seem to have a little too much time on our hands but still....

My E-mail is jjillylilly@aol.com. If you do answer this query perhaps you might send me a private answer in case I get lost on my way back to this site and, in the mean time look out for a couple old bats searching for water towers. We'lll let YOU know if we find it:)
  • Danny Sheridan

Where is 111?
  • Danny Sheridan

I am in Santiago Chile getting ready to do a seminar on Saturday. This will be my first time lecturing in Spanish. On VL til Nov 3, donĀ“t know what is going to happen with promotion? still 5 away.
  • Mark Gregory

Good luck on the seminar. 5 away on the BC LIST, WOW we are getting old. Member when we were wet nosed SOC guys.....
  • Michael Bricault (ret)

Hey Mark... are you going to Vegas next week for the conference?
  • Michael Bricault (ret)

Hi Mark, sounds good. I'm looking forward to catching up in Indy at FDIC 09. Stay safe
  • Barry Aptt

Brother,

Sorry I missed you in Leominster. I wasn't able to get the time off from the firehouse on the 11th. Someday i'll catch up with you.
  • Mark Gregory

Give me a shout anytime you wanna chat
  • Barry Aptt

Mark, I have a question. How many hours inititially and continuing do SOC members participate in for tech rescue disciplines?