Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Part of Rescuing the Rescuers is knowing that they are in trouble. Getting a firefighter to call a Mayday is one challenge. Accountability is another.

We are not satisfied with the accountability system in our volunteer department. We are using a 2-tag system, one stays at the door and one goes to the rehab, so that all firefighters have to be checked out medically before reentering the fire. A good system if:

1. It's set up. Like RIT, nobody wants to take care of the system, everybody wants to be involved in the fire.
2. Rehab is set up. It's an afterthought if it ever happens.
3. It's enforced. Tactical leaders want people in the fire, NOW!

So you can see, we are not really wedded to this system. In the past we left the tags on the vehicle in which we came, so we wouldn't know someone was missing until we were ready to return, and those who came in personal vehicles wouldn't be missed by us at all.

Every system can be abused or evaded. The new chief seems interested in setting up a system that works, so here is another chance to get it right.

Any suggestions?

Views: 295

Replies to This Discussion

I belong to two departments one in my town and one where I work. The town department has an accountability system where we have colored tags.
-2 Yellow Tags- One is attached to the bunker pants (like a dog tag) and the other is placed on the apparatus before exiting.
-One Red Tag- Used by Interior firefighters only and is dropped at the entry point of the structure before entering and collected immediately after exiting the structure.
-One Green Tag- For RIT/FAST Team members only. This tag is given to the Accountability Officer of the town that we are covering.
At the call one member is assigned the task of accountability at the entry point of the structure to manage the tags. However, it is also the firefighter’s responsibility to drop and collect his tag throughout the evolution.

The department that I belong at work is not as organized. We only have two tags (yellow) and depending who is IC for the call will depend on if accountability is taken inot account.
DON’T be the next one, BE Safe!
Richard
Brothers:

I can relate to all of you. Each one of you is expressing the same frustrations I experience with this. I honestly feel as though the accountability tag is merely a device to identify the dead. In our department the company officer or senior man on board is supposed to pass the passport with the family tree to the I.C. prior to entry. This means I have to go find him, is intended to give him the oppportunity to face/face with me, then I go try to catch up with my company. This little detour to the command rig unfortunately, while well intended for comm. reasons, results in avoiding the process altogether. I'm one of the few officers in the dept. that strives to do it because without a better alternative so far, I want to make the system work, however, I frequently find that the I.C. hasn't done anything with the tag when I get back to him. Its just sitting on the seat next to him or stuck to the velcro board for safe keeping. Without a battalion aide, they really don't have a lot of time to be playing with velcro pixie sticks.
Manning is a big issue for us as it is for everyone else. With just 13 guys on shift, and the recall crews several minutes out, there often isn't anyone available to collect accountability tags at the door.

For accountability to work, you must begin with each individual firefighter, must be taught in recruit school, must be lived by the company officers, because names on a clipboard or computer screen do not in themselves save lives. Maintaining accountability among each other in the operational zone is where life happens. I'm sure I'm not adding anything novel to the discussion here, but I find so many FF's and especially officers that don't grasp that concept.
Our department uses the Tag system. 2 tags per firefighter - One to state your on scene and is color coded for platoons. The second is a yellow tag and is a action tag. This tag is only put into service when you are given a task. (They must be kept on the ring on the back of their helmets. If seen doing something task oriented and a tag is still on helmet you could be written up. More time then none your given a warning.

For those who arrive on appartus (Combination Dept) They have an Engine ring and the members attach their On scene tag to that ring and and the yellow action tag is as stated above.

Our department runs a Mini van which is our Accountibiltiy Post who ever responds with it is in charge of running accountibility. It has a wall with all kinds of Fire/Rescue planning boards to keep track of fire ground accountibility and to assist I/C.

Unassigned firefighters (Vollie) stage around accountibility untill assigned.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service