Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Question
We all know the discussions around the table in the fire house over light weight trusses. Some guys fear them, Some guys respect them, and then some guys just show up and hope for the best. We all know there is lots of good info out there and a lot of mis-information out there. I pretty much know which side of the fence ( Respect not Fear ) I fall on, but am curious for thoughts from you guys. Also what have you been told about light weight glued finger joint trusses? There is some pretty intersting stuff floating around out of third party testing conducted on these. This is one for viewing at carbecks site http://www.carbeck.org/pdfs/060704_Finger_jointed_lumber_Carbeck_No...

Views: 527

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing that article. I found it very interesting. One point that stood out in my mind was when it gave the description about the glue no failing but rather pyrolosise, which to me means it contributes added fuel to the environment. I can't help but wonder if this contributes to the domino effect; Beam heated, glue begins to pyrolisise, which increases the amount of smoke (fuel) in the area... In other words does this glue cause flashover to occur faster in the effected area? If it does, then the severe increase of fire in the area would lead to faster roof weakness.
It is interesting that even in the fire service fear is the unknown; fear is a lack of knowledge.
Understanding and recognizing light weight and glued finger joint trusses is the key to a safe and successful firefighting operation. There is too much misinformation out there and my department is no exception. Many people think they know all they need to about this topic but in reality they are only regurgitating the blind fear of others.
The light weight and glued finger joint truss system is something to recognize, respect and be fully mindful of on the fire ground. It is a potential hazard, but so is most of what we do as firefighters.
We need to learn a new term in the fire service, something fighter pilots have been using for years; Situational Awareness. If we as firefighters have Situational Awareness we will not suffer from tunnel vision/task vision, we will not be reacting to the fire scene but rather we will be proactive. Be a thinking firefighter not a reacting one.
Understand and recognize the truss for what it is and thereby operate within those parameters safely. This is the very approach we take with most hazards on the fire ground, education, knowledge, understanding and Situational Awareness.
As for my company, we understand and therefore can operate on and under the truss safely.
Be a thinking firefighter and not a reacting one.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service