Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Does your Department or a Department you know of currently use the Scott Pack Tracker Locater device? If so, I need your assistance. I am currently writing a research paper for the National Fire Academy (Executive Fire Officer program) on this topic. I need some input to develop a standard operating procedure for this equipment. Please drop me a line. Thank you - Matt

Views: 865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Shultz,

I don't have any information for you at this time. Our department is considering the Scott Pack Tracker with the purchase of new SCBA's. I will be very interested in the SOP should our department decide to start using the Pack Tracker. Good luck with our research.

Joe

Joe -

It has been a while.  Did you Department ever pick up the Pak Tracker system?  If so how did the SOP come along?

Joseph Tuckey said:

Mr. Shultz,

I don't have any information for you at this time. Our department is considering the Scott Pack Tracker with the purchase of new SCBA's. I will be very interested in the SOP should our department decide to start using the Pack Tracker. Good luck with our research.

Joe

Mr. Shultz,

Our department has just recently purchased the Pack Tracker and used it briefly in house as a test. IT seems preety cool and worth the money. It recognizes the pack in trouble mode and essentially works like a submarine sonar system. As you get closer the beeping gets louder and more intense.

The only problem that we have seen with it is that it wont tell you if there is a wall in front of you or even the same floor of the firefighter. It just beeps more as you get closer to the downed firefighter which signifies the general direction.

Our department definately needs more training on it, but in my opinion the Pack Tracker would be really only highly effective during a wide area search for a downed firefighter. Even if the firefighter is trapped in a collapse, the Tracker really only tells you the general distance you are from the firefighter. We dont know if metal (steel beams) would effect the Tracker sonar system. I will be more than happy to keep you updated on any training we do with it.

Elliot

Thanks for the input.  You are accurate, the system give you an estimate of which direction and how close.  An inherent issue is that of "reflection", your signal being bounced off concrete or metal providing a potential mis-direction.  A way to combat that is to first seek your firefighter's position through an outside walk around to determine best floor and location, and then work through the building from the closest entrance point.  The antenna is direction focused so this should get you closer to start your search.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service