Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

29 CFR 1910.120 states that we must use the BUDDY SYSTEM when making entry. When I teach at Fire Departments I ask what exactly does that mean? Most Fire Departments reply with TWO IN TWO OUT. I then love to reply with what EXACTLY does TWO in TWO OUT mean?
Before I share thier replies, I would like to know what TWO in TWO OUT means to you?

Views: 1548

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Brent I am going to wait for a few more replies before I say.
I know most people will say that for every 2 people that go in, 2 people are waiting outside. However, I have seen in many publications, SOGs/SOPs, heard in lectures, that 2 in 2 out actually means that if 2 OR MORE people go in, 2 people are waiting outside to effect rescue.

As the majority of us know, (or at least I sure hope most of us do), that the actual effectiveness of 2 firefighters attempting to rescue another downed firefighter is about nil. You can (sadly) read tons of actual stories about the fact that it seems to take 8 to 10 firefighters to rescue one firefighter in trouble, and even then its not a certainty that the rescue will be successful. To say that 2 people outside the hot zone will be able to rescue 2 firefighters in the zone is wishing on dreams and happy thoughts.

I don't know if this is truth, but I can remember talk waaaay back, when the two in - two out concept was being developed, that it's actual purpose was to attempt to stop local governments from reducing firefighter staffing. Since somehow it seems the concept was warped by faceless government entities, it seems like a lame "safety" rule to have.

I think a better wording of the intent for the safety aspect would be: "Incident Commanders will maintain an adequate reserve of trained personnel on scene to affect rescue of any entry personnel, with a minimum of 3:1 ratio of rescuers to entry members." (yeah, I know, now I'm wishing on dreams and happy thoughts, but if they can do it, I figure I can too.)

I know the intent of safety is in there, and I know that the lawmakers and big heads are trying, but I think the actual implementation of the concept has been a big CF. (the C is for Cluster, you can figure out the rest)

I'm not saying I'm the expert on this. I'm just giving my 2 cents since it was asked for.
I am with MABAS 24 Haz Mat team(South suburbs of Chicago). We use three man entry teams and prior to entry, the back up team must be 90% dressed (just need to go on air and zipped). That is our plan. However two in two out to fire personnel may be different. They may be counting command level people and engineers as thier "two out." And then there is the life hazard waiver that is always applied to get around the whole thing. I always try to explain the difference between fire and haz mat.
Thanks Bro! The buddy system is TWO in and TWO out. However all around that I speak they really do not know the true meaning. The true meaning is that you have two people in side doing the work and you have two out side to back them up for emergency purposes only. So if we have 4 in we should have 4 out even in Hazmat it should be that way. Be safe
Raises soem thought HUH Brother.... THanks! I also would say that you have two in and two out but if you could have two in and 4 out yes your right it is better and that is just a minuimum standard. BE safe and train

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service