Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

So I will admit that our dept has been LAZY for lack of better term in our pre plan practices and need to get it in gear.  My question to you guys is do you pre plan more than just target hazards and if so what? And what does your department consider as a target hazard?  Obviously we are looking at the possibility of only pre planning our target hazards. Ok so throw out the thoughts or the shots, I can take both!

Thanks

Brandon

Views: 617

Replies to This Discussion

Nursing Homes, Churches, Schools, High-Rises, Hospitals are good places to start.
Like Chief Walker stated already, start with the highest life hazard as he suggested and then continue to pick away at all of the commercial occupancies in your area. Do them all, because of course the one preplan you don't do is the one you will need at the worst time, when the target hazard is you. On the other hand, I understand that it is tough to do if you are a small department with limited resources, however it does not lessen the need for them. I find that unoffical walk throughs are generally welcome if approached in the right way and provide at least some personal knowledge of your area target hazards even if an official pre-plan does not exist. Great topic..thanks.
We pre-plan all commercial structures in town, same buildings and businesses we inspect. Grated we cover a whole 4 sq miles, but within our piece of the world, we have 2 indusrial parks, schools, churches, an enclosed shopping mall, and high rises. We started and continue pre-planning the structures we do inspect, gives us an opportunity to get into theses buildings in a nice informal way to the owner!

Good Luck
Jeff
My 2 cents on this would be start with your highest life hazard structures - schools, daycare, senior care facilities, hospitals, highrises, churches and other places of large occupancy loads. Then i'd say work on special hazard structures - i.e. buildings containing hazmat etc, or buildings with fire suppression issues such as limited water supply in the area. My feeling is any buildings out there that you know will give you an issue when the call come needs to be pre-planned in some form. Light-weight constructed buildings, buildings containing trusses, vacant buildings, etc all need to be identifyed and known...

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service