Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I was just at an instructors meeting and one of the departments there mentioned that they were having failures with the Scott AV 3000 SCBA mask. Problems like spidering and actual softening of the lens. These problems were identified during flashover training. Has anyone else come across these issues?

Views: 616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recall an issue some years ago with spidering and cracking near the regulator locks. How old are your packs? Have you called your Scott Rep? If you have crazing and spidering it is worth having checked as this will affect the integrity of the lens (lens is impact rated).
Pretty sure ours were recalled and lens replaced. We changed to MSA 3 years ago.
This is not from my department. We do use Scott however, but we are wearing the AV 2000 mask. The problem is with the AV 3000. The rep did drop by but was not very helpfull. They were reminded that the mask did pass the NFPA and NIOSH testing. Another problem might have been that they were wearing the mask in a hazardous environment???????? I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same problems.
The only time we have seen any problem like this were on the AV-2000 masks. This is normally caused by too much heat, during our Flashover trainings we have always been told to wipe our mask with our gloves every few minutes to cool the shield.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service