Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

H1N1 Immunization - are you going to participate in the H1N1 Immunization program? If not, then why not?

TAKE PRECAUTIONS - Whether you accept or decline the H1N1 Swine Flu immunization, remember these simple precautions that are the cornerstone of infection control:
1. Wash hands frequently with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
2. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
3. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
4. If you are sick with an influenza-like illness (ILI) (fever plus at least cough or sore throat and possibly other symptoms like runny nose, body aches, headaches, chills, fatigue, vomiting, and diarrhea), stay home and keep away from others as much as possible. Avoid travel for at least 24 hours after the fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (The fever should be gone without the use of fever-reducing medicine.)
5. On EMS responses, wear an n-95 mask or another type of barrier mask.
6. Drink plenty of fluids, especially water and get adequate sleep.

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chief, the 6 points you brought up should for all of us, regardless of our rank or years be an automatic thing, however, in many places and members it's not. I believe that could be a discussion all its own. I personally, have had both my regular flu shot from my doctor, as well as the H1N1 immunization offed at my dept. through county health. For me personally, I owe it to my family, myself, included, my Fire Service Brothers and Sisters and to the citizens I'm sworn to protect. It was a personal decision for me, with the immunizations, but, the universal precautions you mentioned Chief, should be as easy as not breathing smoke.
Todd
Thanks for the first person update.

Todd McKee said:
Chief:

I did participate in the H1N1 vaccination. At first I was not going to because it was new and the virus is changing so fast. I was playing the wait and see what happens to those that take it. However, I felt like I owed to everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis. I had a small reaction to it, but nothing major!

Your friend,
Todd McKee
Jeff
Thanks for the information and the universal personal protection precaution reminder. Good stuff

John

Jeff Schwering said:
Chief, the 6 points you brought up should for all of us, regardless of our rank or years be an automatic thing, however, in many places and members it's not. I believe that could be a discussion all its own. I personally, have had both my regular flu shot from my doctor, as well as the H1N1 immunization offed at my dept. through county health. For me personally, I owe it to my family, myself, included, my Fire Service Brothers and Sisters and to the citizens I'm sworn to protect. It was a personal decision for me, with the immunizations, but, the universal precautions you mentioned Chief, should be as easy as not breathing smoke.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service