Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Smooth bore vs. fog. Which do you prefer and why? Does your answer change with the diameter? Does your answer change with application such as high rise or garden lay? And lastly, which do you prefer for master stream operations?

Views: 243

Replies to This Discussion

My opinion on this varies depending on the nature of the incident. I prefer fogs on lines for grass/woods/brush fire and also the jump/trashlines on the engines used for cars/dumpsters/trash fires. On the structrual lines, I prefer a smoothbore, 15/16 on the 1.75, and 1 1/4 on the 2.5. I like having the extra punch the smoothbore delivers GPM wise, stream distance and I feel the lines are more managable with the smoothbores. Definatly smoothbores on master streams. I feel that if you go ahead and max out the avalible GPM, the fire goes out faster, with less chance for errors such as accidental change in nozzle pattern or GPM setting on adj. gallonage nozzles. Every nozzle has a time and place, but I've found that with this setup, things usually go smoothly. Hise rise operations or anything taken off of a standpipe should be smoothbore to allow the junk that may be in the piping to flow through and the reduced nozzle pressure will provide a more usable stream in most cases.
We carry fog nozzles on our crosslays and trash line all 1.75". My preference if possible, would be leave the fog nozzles on the trash line and one jiffy. a smooth bore tip and another 50' of line on the other crosslay. Fog is good for vehicle and dumpster, Booster for grass ect. For structrual smooth bore jiffy first in, fog to follow. As far as a master stream, again the fog is on the appliance, but that would change and has chance according to the job at hand. Right for reach Lt. I'm not big on getting steamed.

Stay Safe
Jeff
Christopher Kiestler hit it right on the head. Great job!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service