Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

What are you doing to mentor your fire officers?
Is your process formal or informal?
How long does it last?
How is the process evaluated?
Describe the process.
Do you have plans to make changes or adjustments?

Views: 158

Replies to This Discussion

Dave:

I have struggled with your reply and have given it a lot of thought. One of the things I enjoy most about training is the positive impact you can have on the organization. If I understand what you are saying, 90% of the battle is won if training and edcuation is encouraged. I certainly understand the civil service method of promotions and it sometimes can be a detour for preparation and imrpovement. I'm willing to bet that a good number of the officers in your dept, don't really understand what mentroing is all about and how they, as mentors, can impact the next generation of officers. The nature of the beast is that we all like to share our "fishing stories" (experiences) and I bet there is some mentoring going on with youor officers, it is just not recognized as such.

We started our mentoring process with the Mentor Book, then the new hires, then our Drivers, Captains and BCs last. By doing this we impacted the greatest numbers first and by the time we fully developed our process for company officer and BC, everyone was already familiar with the concept.......
Mentor fire officers? I think are management would like to beat down are new officers into submission. Fire officers should be pushing themselfs to always lead. Don't become complacent push you and your crew to become better. No progression means your falling behind.
Shawn:

Great process. How long have you guys been doing this? Do you do this type of process for all positions?

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service