Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions on everyone's outlook regarding applications and resumes. Do you usually submit your cover letter, resume and certs with your application or do you or have you submitted only your application and later provided the hiring staff with additional information during an interview

I have a few process coming up and hoping to provide them with adequate information at the right time.

Thanks
KW

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to hand in my app to the civil service commission and after that I would type up a good resume with my training history and certificates and standard resume stuff. I would then take my resume to the chief s office or hiring staffs office so that they had it. Plus it was a good way to get your face in their minds. I would not give your resume at the interview! Reason being it will disrupt the flow of the interview, and they wont want to waste the time to go over it while your sitting in front of them, it will make for an uncomfortable situation. Your best bet is to hand it to them personally a few weeks before the interview or shortly after your application is given. I would recommend not giving the resume to the civil service commission reason being a few time I did that, the resume never made it to the people that I really wanted to see it so it was a waste of time. Be sure after the interview that you also type up a good letter thanking them for the opportunity of the interview and ect. that one you can mail to the appropriate office, that will help you stay in their minds and show you really want this job. The fire service is a highly competitive carer to get into so anything you can do to set yourself apart from others interviewing will help.
Hope this helped, good luck and keep us informed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service