Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I'm interested in a type of structure that I saw on TV that is used in the Artic in Russia. The outer structure is one tent that is not touching a second inner tent. Heat that escapes the innermost one buffers the weather from the outer one.

To the best of my knowelege according to code these people are dead? They froze to death there is not enough R factor. The odd part is that the U factor is zero the outside material cannot transfer tempurature to the inside since they don't touch.

About the only thing that comes close to this in our culture is placing a bag of some type as a barrier between inner and outer structures.

1: assuming that the skin was cheap and flamible but there was little volume of material to burn how dose this change it from standard designs?

2: Assuming that the skin was moderatly expencive (thicker, better material, more resistant to fire) how would that change things?

3: Assuming that the skin was at a minium fire retardant and price wasn't much of an issue how would that change things?

4: Assuming that all 3 previous questions carried at a minium bottled suspended fire extingushers or a system of sprinklers.

I'm not experianced at this area of design; but I feel that normal numbers don't work. Altho some plastic materials burn quicker they don't reach high temp for very long partally in that there's no great mass to burn.

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just commenting on the two tent theory ---- Obviously there has to be a heat source to warm the inside. I can only state from my experience that stagnent air is a good insulator. I lived in a small home in Florida (I know it supposedly doesn't get cold down here) that was built without any insulation what so ever in the walls or ceiling, there was a vapor barrier under the outside planking and the inside was 3/4" vertical tongue and groove paneling all very tight fitting. That home used less oil for the heater than any other home I have lived in. It also brings to mind the extensive use of double and triple pane windows up in Alaska where my brother used to live, some are gas filled but most just let the atmosphere pressure equalize and then seal the space between the panes, it could be 30 below zero outside and you could place your hand on the glass and not feel the cold so the one tent over another seem very plausible. As to the rest of the post, are you looking to build something like that here? From what I have read and talked to people up in the cold country they just use the light weight stuff for temporary structures
What information on the tents and the rules that they had can you give me? Even which base if the tent is still there.

Part of what I'm trying to understand is that this type of structure might require a different type of fire precaution and fighting method.

the skin material burns sooner and hotter in some conditions but dosn't have a lot of BTU's to give the transfer to secondary burnable materials. The middle area would have smoke and the inner area could burn vertically into the second skin most likely at the top. but how much of standard fire prevention code is appliciable?

Some of the issues not decribed are that probably an air to air heat exchanger would be used so that air quallity is higher yet the heat stays where I need it.

It's possible that because of the shape a deliberate air flow of a doenut shape would naturally happen. The air woud cool in the center and pick up heat as it headed back to the walls.

I'm thinking that forced air allong as much of the walls as possible in tiny vents is the way to get this doenut effect going.
Ed Laugesen said:
Just commenting on the two tent theory ---- Obviously there has to be a heat source to warm the inside. I can only state from my experience that stagnent air is a good insulator. I lived in a small home in Florida (I know it supposedly doesn't get cold down here) that was built without any insulation what so ever in the walls or ceiling, there was a vapor barrier under the outside planking and the inside was 3/4" vertical tongue and groove paneling all very tight fitting. That home used less oil for the heater than any other home I have lived in. It also brings to mind the extensive use of double and triple pane windows up in Alaska where my brother used to live, some are gas filled but most just let the atmosphere pressure equalize and then seal the space between the panes, it could be 30 below zero outside and you could place your hand on the glass and not feel the cold so the one tent over another seem very plausible. As to the rest of the post, are you looking to build something like that here? From what I have read and talked to people up in the cold country they just use the light weight stuff for temporary structures
One accidental application of this is the office in a barn or Air hanger. It can be a bit of an overstretch of the best ratio of what-ever effect this is. But Wev'e all been somewhere that stayed un-naturally stable because another building dampered the fast shifting of tempature and wind factors. I'm both trying to understand what the engineering rules are for this including issues like buildup of chemicals (household cleaners, etc...) and trying to understand what it would be like in both fire prevention and fire fighting?

Would something like fire proof blankets falling into place work like a fire door? The European Solar houses could make fire breaks by simply adding fire proof vents that close when the fire is dected. Again their structure is heavy wood.

If one of the big problems is that flame would have an unrestricted path throughout the structure. What affect dose the fabric have in that it's burned thru almost as fast as it's reached max tempature. Would it make more sence that there be 3 layers of fire extingusher
1: inside
2: in-between layer
3: a set pointed exterior for things like fireworks landing on the roof?
So long as the fire fighting equipment wasn't forming a U-factor the principle should still hold.

Where can I read up on options and issues related to this?

Ed Laugesen said:
I tried contacting the Millitaries research department about this all that I found was that the contact persons retired.
Dose anybody have a base that this equipment is used? I could attempt to contact them. Dose anybody have any information on equipment like a model number or even a nick name would be something? A manual would be great!? knowing who would would on a base be in charge of fixing one setting one up, and of course our favorite giving a lecture on the proper use of one?

Brent Sanger said:
The military uses a lined tent quite often in colder environments. I have experienced sleeping in one of these tents at -55 F. However, there were 10 people in the tent contributing body heat, and we also had a liquid fuel fired stove heating the tent on the coldest nights. When the external temperature was around -10 to -20, the internal temperature with the heater off would hover just below freezing. While that may seem cold, it is livable, especially if you are moving around. The down side is the tents are made of canvas, and are not treated to be fire retardant. They burn very quickly, hence the policy of having someone awake the whole time the stove is functioning.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service