Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Ventilation is a key way to help the engine company advance to the fire and privide more time for vicitms to live until they are found by the search team. What is your department's primary way to ventilate a residence in your respone area?

Views: 537

Replies to This Discussion

We mostly do horizontal ventilation. This is basically due to limited manpower in the early stages. We will try and go to the roof but that does not always happen. The one thing that needs to be remembered on either one it to make sure it is coordinated with the compnies inside.
coordination is critical. Sometimes I think it what we forget in the fire service.
I think the fire service did it better when we didn;t have masks on because we had to then
We our the 1st due truck to 3 communities that border us. On my shift we split our truck into two teams. The officer and two ff's will go to the roof and two ff will either search or do horizontal ventilation. I don't know if I agree with this but it is up to the officer. I think it should be the opposite, with 2 ff's going to the roof and the officer and 2 ff's going in. The other problem is the interior attack may be under way before we make the roof. In the burbs we seem to forget about the coordination part.
I was always taught that if guys are under the roof, guys go on the roof to ventilate. The mask comment is right on. Too many times ff's rush into an environment that they should not be in but they are so encapsulated they don't know until it was to late.
Wow, You guys have 5 man trucks?
Yeah , I'm a reliever which is a floater. When I'm on the truck I like to be inside so if need be I can coordinate it a bit.
The big problem with coordination is the forcible entry problems. If ther aren;t any F/E prblems, like on a residence, the engine is in fast. If it's commercial the engine may be in too slow. I think the size up determines how to coordinate the venting with the hose work. That's why I think it's good for the offcier to be inside.
Horizontal is very quick but the seat of the fire needs to be determined. Like Jim W nd I were saying the coordination needs to be there for the room to be vented. Can your engine officers direct the windows to be vented from inside? and do they or maybe the truck officer? Chris Take a look at our discussion with the video "You're first due now what" We 'd like to hear from you on this one as far as venting goes
Yeah It's the old saying "When the cotton hits the street , the stick goes to the roof" but that was on large dept's like Chgo where there are FF's everywhere. I'm concerned about getting effective venting , in a coordinated way so guys can advance the hose and the truck can make the rescues.
I think it is much harder to do this w/ less FF's for one specific reason - we have to be right on with our size up and coordination (of engine and truck)
Our minimum is 2, 4 man engines and 1, 3 man truck. along with 2 ambo with ff/medics. This is our usual manning during the summer months. If this is the case the ambo with chase the truck and supplement manning. If we have 4 on the truck, they may or may not chase. It has worked out well for us.
Where are you a reliever? I know a couple of people on the city. I rode a couple of times years ago at E-47 when wojtecki was captain there. Now my buddy is on squad 2.
How does Chicago split up there truck companies?
Peaked roof ventilation is a SECONDARY operation at most private dwellings. However, if you are operating at a balloon-frame 2 1/2 story private dwelling (or Queen Anne [Victorian]), it can be considered a primary operation. This is only a primary consideration if there is heavy fire and or smoke in the attic space. These attic spaces hold a tremendous amount of fire and has kept many an Engine at bay at the second floor landing until the roof was opened. Furthermore, these attic spaces are often fully occupied. Unless you have an attic space that can be occupied, you are wasting your time and manpower to ventilate it; particularly in newer homes where the only possible attic inhabitants are the squirrels that chew their way in. Also, the Engine is not going to advance into attic spaces in newer private dwellings. Instead, have people vent from the outside and inside to benefit the Engine and occupants' inhabitable areas, respectively.
I would have to agree with "single room and contents" move it Horizontally. I would have to disagree with if I am understanding you right and maybe I am missing your point "Unless you have an attic space that can be occupied, you are wasting your time and manpower to ventilate it; particularly in newer homes" If I have more than a "single room and contents.. and heat and more importantly smoke conditions warrent it "open the roof" punch the ceiling and get the smoke and BTU's moving in the direction they want to go UP and OUT. This if your crews train on it can be a "fast" operation. We teach our crews time and manpower? How long to get the vent? 6/12 or less no involment or limited involment in attic is a fast operation. Up and down in less than 3 min. 6/12 and up? If they have a good spot on the truck, up and down "bucket cut" less than 6 min from the brake being set. If the truck has a bad spot " over head obstructions" than take into consideration how long to throw ground and roof ladders to get the vent. This will take more time on the steeper roof. I have seen the benifits of opening up the roof on PD's both inside and out. This would always be my first thought on arrival if the conditions warrent.
I'm a reliever in the first district. I'm from the fifth district. The stops were E116, Sq2 and TL 39. 6th district relief for 2 yeras and 1st district relief for the last 2 years. Do all your truck officers work on the roof?

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service