Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Not sure if all of you got the message from me...I was wondering, especially for those of us getting ready for the winter months, if you run your drains open or closed for the winter...I prefer mine to be closed...2 reasons...1- I don't have to run around the rig closing everything on a job...and 2...I feel it keeps salt and road grime from entering that part of the plumbing...Just curious what your depts have you do..Stay Safe and watch for the idiot driver!! EGH!!!! RudeDog

Views: 166

Replies to This Discussion

Mike,
We keep our drains closed until after a run. Once we are back in house the engineer opens all drains and empties the waterways sometimes with the help of a heat gun. Once this is done he then closes them once more. The philosophy is that it is better to have things frozen closed on scene than have an oversized sprinkler in the front of a building making lots of ice. Stay safe

Londo
Mike, We keep our discharge drains closed while our intake drains are open throughout the year. During our winter months (in the St. Louis, Missouri area) if the temp is 20 degrees F or lower our policy states that we are to run the pump while at the scene of any call and then once we get back to quarters we open all of the drains and then empty any water out of the capped discharges and intakes. Then we again close the discharge drains and leave the intake drains open.

Pretty much what Londo said. Have fun, Doug
We run our pumps on all calls in the winter and keep all of our drains closed. When we get back in quarters we open all of the drains and then close them again.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service