Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Hi Ray. I've got the last reply on about 8 threads, and I'm beginning to feel like I'm talking to myself. Admittedly, they are mostly my opinion and don't exactly beg a response. With that said, I'm going to start a thread and see what happens. It's really two parts:

I've recently become aware that none of the guys on my shift are carrying wire cutters in their turnout gear except me. That worries me in terms of self extrication from entanglements, and it's my intention to go to the hardware and get some cutters and give them to them. I'm not willing to wait the time to go through channels to get the city to provide them. The time they need them could be tomorrow. The pair I carry is a Cable cutter,  two half moon hardened steel cutter blades that will pass each other. They are good for cutting battery cables, which is why we have a pair on the rig for car accidents. Trouble is, I really have no reference on how well they will work on smaller wires, and since I'd prefer to carry only one pair of cutters, I'm wondering what kinds of wire cutters folks are carrying in their turnout pockets, why that type, and the pros and cons of each.

That is the first part.

The second part is easier stated: How about it brothers? What kind of gadgets are you carting around in your turnout gear pockets and why? When I go back to work wednesday, I'm going to go through my pockets and list what's in them and why I've got them and post it here. Maybe you guys have got something in your pockets that I never thought of and I will pick up some new ideas to solve old problems. I'm looking forward to hearing your responses. - TJP

Views: 405

Replies to This Discussion

Wire cutters, combo spanner wrench / seat belt cutter / window breaker / gas valve shutter offer.

used to have wedges but to hard to get out while crawling, so I moved them to my helmet.... however another guy has his wedges on fishing line attached to his bunker coat and can just snap them off as he needs them. Looking at this option.

I also would be interested to see what others have.

Thank you Brother Art.... could you maybe describe how he attaches the wedges to his coat? That breakaway concept sounds intriguing.

Each wedge he drills a small h*** to run fishing line thru. Each wedge has its own seperate small loop of fishing line. We have a clasps sewn on our turnout coats for flashlights or whatever, he just hooks the loops on there and when you need a wedge just grap and give a little tug (this is where you have to make sure you didnt use 60 lb line for musky or sturgeon fishing) you could also hook them on a carabiner and hook on a belt or radio harnes or SCBA harness.

Arthur S. Collatz said:

Each wedge he drills a small h*** to run fishing line thru. Each wedge has its own seperate small loop of fishing line. We have a clasps sewn on our turnout coats for flashlights or whatever, he just hooks the loops on there and when you need a wedge just grap and give a little tug (this is where you have to make sure you didnt use 60 lb line for musky or sturgeon fishing) you could also hook them on a carabiner and hook on a belt or radio harnes or SCBA harness.

LOL, Art! I'll try to remember not to use 60 pound test! TJP

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service