Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Used a smoke barrel yesterday at our training tower, and worked great. Wanting to know what everyone's thoughts/facts/info on using the smoke barrel in a seperate area of the training tower. Our tower has 2 burn rooms, one on the main floor and one on the second floor. The rest of the tower is metal construction. I used the burn barrel right in the front entry (out of the way of egress)on the main floor and had a hoseline with me to keep the straw from flaring up. My concern is this: the nay-sayers are going to squak that the smoke barrel should be placed in the burn room where the burning is taking place and I am looking for guidance on how to approach this. Thanks,
Chad Cox

Views: 2403

Replies to This Discussion

I have used a burn barrel in an area other than the fire room to create some heat and smoke. The key is control. When we use the barrel we do a couple of things. One is put wet hay on top to creat the smoke. ANother thing is to have a lid. I have used two barrel types. One is a metal drum with metal lid. We can choke the fire by covering the barrel. The other barrel is a drum cut in half lengthwise with a hinge making two halfs and a metal bar to adjust the lid height. The barrel is on legs-very nice. Whoever is stoking needs to understand why the barrel is used. 1403 says one fire at a time and we keep that intent. In many towers it is hard to get smoke to build up without such a barrel.
Thanks for the input. We did some live burns in our burn tower the other day, and I worked on the smoke barrel again. Across the board all the crews out that day complimented on how good the smoke conditions were throughout the building. Took a TIC with me and monitiored the heat conditions that way down the road if someone wants to argue that it is putting out heat. The entire time, the temperature readings at the ceiling level were 79-80 degrees. Thanks for the advice, and look forward to hearing more.
I have plans for a propane fired hay burner, I can send it to you if you wish. Produces great smoke and heat, actually will create a heat signature that a tic can view fairly well. It's easier to stoke and keep producing heat, but MUST be manned at all times for obvious reasons, as well as placed properly within the building.
Tony, I'd like the plans if you can send them to me at dsmith@prospectheightsfire.com. Thanks
Tony,

Can you please send me the plans for the propane fired hay burner? Thanks,
Chad Cox
chadsworthks@yahoo.com
Tony, My name is doug price. Im a new Live Burn Instructor, an the Community College is building a ESTC for the local depts. The propane hay burner sounds great I would love to have a copy of the plans if possible. Thanx doug. dprice6307@yahoo.com
I'll get those pics of the burner to you all next week.

A piece of chain link fence is put over the top of the burner to keep the straw off the burner, someone needs to feed and man a hose line during the evolutions, as well as periodically empty the ash, usually good for about three bails before that is needed.

Questions, shoot em my way.
Tony
Thanx Tony, I look foreward to making one an using it.
I am in the process of making and experimenting with propane smoke barrels for our department. Actually picked up the idea from the Georgia smoke diver instructors at the FDIC. The guys were great and were willing to hand out their smoke barrel plans for anyone to design. We just did a test run on our first barrel based on the GSD plans and it was excellent. Not only do you use less hay then conventional smoke barrels startup time is very quick and effortless. We did our first test run on a 50 x 30 2.5 story residential style drill tower and we had less than 2 feet visiblility within 10 minutes of starting the barrel. (have videos if anyone is interested). Very simple design. all you need is some plumbing parts, blue flame log lighter, 55 gallon drum, and rebar. Oh yeah and someone who welds. Simple startup.. Turn on gas, light burner, add hay, and bam 15 seconds you have a column of smoke chugging out. We did two burns which last one hour each. We ended up using less than 3 bales of hay and had near zero visibility. Also you have consistant smoke throughout the day since the ashes fall through the grate and into a tub or the floor where they can be removed easily. Only drawback is the barrel does not raise the room temp more than 30 degrees if controlled properly. Still creates good thermal layering and contrast for TIC training though. The other concern is you must place it where the gas tank is outside of the sturcture (usually pipe through a drain h*** or just preplumb your tower). We controlled the flare ups by either adding more hay or covering with a thick piece of plywood or metal cover. you can sort of predict flareups by looking for cherry spots on the side of the drum, which indicates there is a void in the load of hay allowing free burn. If you just pack more hay in that area you can prevent flare ups all together. We had a can in the room with the stoker and a booster line right outside the door. In the live fire class GSD controlled the area with a garden hose. Can be used outside of the burn room but I would read up on NFPA 1403 before I would confirm that one. Just have to maintain one fire at a time I do know that much.

But to be honest try contacting one of the instructors at georgia smoke divers www.georgiasmokediver.com . They were the guys that I learned the design from and hence I must give credit to them on this one. Excellent piece of training equipment for realistic smoke conditions.

Joe Dombrowski
Stamford Fire Rescue
Engine 5 Rescue 1
Stamford, CT

Oh yeah here are some pics...

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service