Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

What steps has your department taken to clearly define the roles of RIT or FAST on the fireground?

Curious to know what steps departments are taking to establish working guidelines for RIT/FAST companies.
Specifically, how are these companies selected, trained, and dispatched in your community. Policies with respect to RIT/FAST "going to work" on the firegeound, and components of any specialized RIT/FAST equipment that crews are required to bring and/or assemble when on-scene. What has worked for you? What hasn't?

Views: 375

Replies to This Discussion

We have a discussion going in the Tactical Building Blocks and Air Management Group right now about RIT. I have three SOG's that I posted there. I have talked personally with one member about the RIT training series that we require of all of our members. If you are interested, just drop me a line. EGH-PFB
I am definitely interested, and thanks for taking the time to respond across groups. My department has recently adopted a new FAST/RIT policy that is shared by the other communities in our mutual aid compact, and I am interested in evaluating what others are doing.

Be Safe,

Chris
Mr. Barry,

If you will look at those SOG's that I posted on the other discussion, there is a list of recommended equipment in the RIT Operations SOG. I helped form a regional RIT team in southern Greenville County almost two years ago. We tried dispatching different depts. to provide RIT services for each other, but we found that it was easier to let each dept. dump all of their respective resources for each alarm. Neighboring depts would move up equipment and personnel to cover the "working" depts. call area.This was later modified to dispatch the closest available stations, when the call was close to the call area border. This seems to be working well. We did train a core group of 20 people (5 from each dept.) on advanced RIT Operations, and then allowed those members to go back and train their own members. After that these 4 depts. meet quarterly to train together. It seems to be going real well. If you need anything, do not hesitate to hit me up. EGH-PFB
We have also struggled with the decision of how to designate FAST/RIT companies in our city, and have recently placed a new SOG into operation based upon the consensus SOG from MetoFire, our mutal aid compact. As it is is a new policy, I will keep you posted as to how it works for us. Thanks again for the input.

Be Safe,

Chris
In our community we haven't set up a specific RIT Mutual Aid agreement, though a RIT can be requested that way. We have a local trained team that is supposed to be the initial RIT, but we don't train with a RIT like we should; Sunny the Gadfly is making some impact on using the best of what is available.:-) One problem we have is the nearest department doesn't have a RIT and, since we are at the east end of the south fork of Long Island, that means it can be more than 20 miles from the nearest MA RIT.
Your concerns are legitimate. A salient point to make may be to ask who will be utilized once the on-scene RIT/FAST goes to work at an incident? This is a probably a discussion best had before the need arises.

The point you raise with regard to the geography of your community is an interesting and important factor that I bet goes unaccounted in many RIT/FAST plans, and you're definitely justified in being concerned.

In my own community, we have two (2) peninsulas that are covered by neighborhood fire stations. I know it always seems take forever to get out there when my company responds, so I can only imagine what it would be like awaiting a company making a twenty (20) mile run!
Our department started RIT a couple of years ago with the intention of responding throughout the county. The idea was not welcomed very well by most other depatrments but most of our mutual aid departments were willing to call us for the extra help. It took a lot to overcome the barrier of firefighters wanting to roam and help out here and there as well as the barrier of command wanting to reassign us to help out here and there. Our RIT responds to do RIT. That's to always be ready to respond if firefighters need help. Basically we stand there on a tarp outside an entrance to the building, will our gear on, our air on, and our tools ready. (They even bought the funny little arm bands marked "RIT" so everyone knows who we are and doesn't try to give us something better to do.) A few of the team members check the means of egress and report back. They may ladder the upstairs windows for escapes if firefighters will be on a second floor. Thats about it.
That's about par for the course. Until there is an LODD that could have been prevented by a RIT, or somebody (that is, you and me) convinces them that RIT is needed.
I like the idea of armbands, so they can be identified while laddering, doing periodic sizeup, etc.
Just did an article on this for FOOLS International. If interested go to:
http://foolsinternational.com/Rapid_Intervention_Team/index.shtml
Thanks,
Thanks, I wish all bros would read that, it really shows why we need RIT and Mayday training. I know it still hurts. That's what it takes to learn.

Train safe, be safe.
If I were you I would push FF self survival so that a RIT has time to get there. I f we train our firefighters to the fullest and safest, we won't need a RIT. I am a big believer in RIT but with that said our actions when it comes to training if we teach our firefighters how not to get in trouble and our line officers & chiefs not to let the FF get in to deep we will prevent FF deaths.

Stay safe
TZ
The county that we are in is in the process of developing specific requirements of being a RIT/RIC/FAST member and requirements around the equipment that the team needs to have. Without getting into to much detail:
-Firefighter requirements are:
-Minimum of 3 years active service
-Courses: RIT Awareness and Operations, Building Construction, Building Collapse, Advanced SCBA to name a few
-Equipment requirements: RIT Pack, Mechanical Saw (Gas and Battery), TIC, Tag line (main and one for each firefighter), Ladders, Rescue Basket, and various standard tools.
We have established a mutual aid agreement with 5 of towns in our responding area and each of the teams agrees to follow the same protocol. Now there are towns that do not agree with the principal, but the State and County are working toward mandating that a RIT/RIC/FAST be at any confirmed structure fire. Now this can be a team within your own department if you want, but with the manpower issues that we are seeing I do not know how a town can do that.
DON’T be the next one, BE safe!
Richard

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service