Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Purpose
The Purpose of the Line of Duty Death Drill is to visit, on a regular basis, line of duty deaths and close calls. By doing so, we can research, study, evaluate and discuss those unfortunate situations that our Brothers have experienced with the hopes of learning from the events leading up to the line of duty death or close call.

Implementation
□ The Training Division will publish a one year schedule for the line of duty death reports so that each station will have plenty of notice to prepare for your presentation. Each month, one station will deliver a LODD report on the last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of the monthly training calendar. The Division Chief of Training will present the LODD report for the month of December.

□ Each station will be expected to develop and deliver a 20 to 30 minute presentation on the topic of your choice that involves a line of duty death or a close call.

□ Information for your report can be found in NIOSH reports, www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire at firefighterclosecalls.com, The US Fire Administration web site, trade journals, or any other source you would like to reference.

□ You may use any method of presentation for your report, however each report should include the following:

o At least one line of duty death or fire service close call
o A 20-30 minute presentation to be delivered to your shift on the CE schedule
o An overview of the incident
o A detailed description of what happened before, during and after the event
o An overview of each of the lessons learned

Be prepared to discuss similarities with the City of Lewisville and the operations of the Lewisville Fire Department.

Finally
I ask that senior members get involved in this project and that the company officer make some final comments, and not just assign this to our new guys…..this is too important and we need to hear from experience.
Every effort will be made to allow time for these presentations as scheduled. You are doing the work, I will do whatever I can to see that other activities do not conflict with your scheduled time. If we get busy and cannot conduct training because of emergency calls, we will schedule a make-up date ASAP.

Please be fair to the firefighters involved in these events. Try to place yourself in their position and try to understand what happened with the intent of preventing the same chain-of-events that contributed to their particular situation. View this as a valuable learning opportunity, not as judge and jury. Remember, it could happen to us.

AS ALWAYS, STAY SAFE

Views: 141

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

This is one of the monthly drills that we are utilizing in our own department thanks to Chief Thompson's influence and dedication to this type of training. This is a great way for us all to remember our past in hopes of recognizing ways that we can avoid repeating the past in the future.
Thanks Geno for a great drill!
They choose.
Mark:
Thanks for the kind words Brother. I need to give credit to Chief Lasky for the idea, I just put it into motion. I am glad you guys are able to use it......I believe it makes an impact on the organization.

Geno

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service