Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I was hoping for some help here. My Capt. asked me to research Hi-lift jacks to carry on out rescues. I was researching and came across Hi-lift. What seems to be the best jack out on the market for assisting with extrication. I know there are forged and cast steel jacks and a lot of sites are saying that the cast steel jacks are the strongest, just in my experience I know forged steel to be stronger. does anyone have any suggestions for me? thank you.

Views: 167

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My combi department I volunteer at uses the Rescue 42 jacks and even in the extreme cold they are versatile, sturdy, light weight and seem to hold up for about any extrication we run into and they have an adapter for Hi Lift jack application. There are others out there on the market but these are the ones we purchased. The high lift jacks serve their purpose and can compliment most rescue situations but it maybe difficult for them to provide a sturdy platform for some vehicle stabilizations. It's all about having the right tools in your tool box and one may serve a purpose where the other does not.

Hope this helps

stay safe

brad
The Hi Lift jacks are also known as Handy Man jacks to some. They are versatile and work very well just like Brad said. A lot of extrication has been done with them. For us farm boys they were an essential piece of equipment and most pickups had them. They are also known as Widow Makers to some. While these jacks are great they do have their disadvantages. They have a very small base which will sink into soft dirt very quickly. The higher you lift, the more likely they are to tip, in any direction, and shift the load accordingly. Maintenance is also key because although they are simple if not kept clean and lubricated they have a tendency to hang up during operation and not want to advance and I have seen them drop without much warning.

For lifting I will use airbags and Jaws before I grab a Handy Man on a rescue scene. We have two on our rescue because they are versatile and fit in some places other lifting equipment won't. Haven't really used them but they are fairly cheap and there if we need them. Pair them with O'Connell Rescue Plates (O Plates) from Rescue 42 or something similar and you can do quite a bit.

Not saying get them or not to get them but instead be informed. Get your hands on one a see what you think and then form your opinion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service