Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Climbing the promotion ladder. Just as long as the ladder isn't too high or too steep. Or if it's too hot, or cold or...

Ya gotta admit, the various methods used by some departments in their promotion systems are goofy.
In my department, to promote to driver (Engineer) and to Captain, the person only has to pass a 100 question written test. Idiotic, I know but hey, we can't infringe on anyone's rights now can we? A practical exam may not be fair to Little Lord Funtley Roe and Little Miss Astor. To ask a candidate to demonstrate their skills and ability to perform would be hard. It would require extra effort. Gawd forbid!

What about your departments system?

Views: 231

Replies to This Discussion

Mike, this one really opens up "Pandora's Box" for me!! Our department's promotion system has been in shambles for many years now, mostly due to claims of racial discrimination, "reverse discrimination", unfair testing,(?) cheating accusations, "disparate impact", etc., etc., ad-nauseum. Currently there is no credit given for seniority nor for any extra fire service education, certitifiations, degrees, etc. The ONLY prerequisite to take a test for promotion from firefighter to captain is to have 5 years on the FD and a satisfactory annual evaluation. Our current fire chief wants to make either NFPA Fire Officer I certification or a 30 hour certificate in Fire Science Technology a requirement for cpatain candidates; and an Associate of Science Degree in Fire Science Technology a requirement for Batt. Chief candidates. Man, you should hear the screaming and the whinning that this idea triggered! We've had four captain and battalion chief's tests since 1998. The first was thrown out due to improper scoring, and the third due to allegations of cheating by several firefighters and officers. The second test was certified, but the fire chief in office at that time immediately had the list killed at the end of two years because he felt that it was an unfair test and created "disparate impact" among minorities. Interestingly enough, several of his favorite people were promoted to captain off of that list. The last test given by the city was given in late 2003. This test was unsuccessfully challenged in court for over 4 years, and promotions to captain and battalion chief were begun to be made off of the current list just under 2 years ago. The city personnel division has chosen to postpone givng another test until at least next summer or fall due to budget constraints. Currently, some captains who were promoted off of the test in 2000 are fighting with the city to "kill" the current list, claiming (falsely of course) that the reamaining candidates on this list are unqualified for the position. Of course, that claim is absolute nonsense!! Of all of these tests, each one included either a written or oral assessment center exercise involving some type of emergency scene exercise and a problem employee exercise. Also, 3 of the 4 included a multiple choice "technical knowlege" portion, but in each type of test, the assessment center exercises carried the greater weight of the overall scores. Each test was also created by a different and nationally reputable testing company, and yet no matter who created the test or what perentages were used to weigh the final scores, challenges and/or lawsuits were filed. This is the unfotunate result from having no clear parameters in place for fire officer promotional testing nor some type of fire officer development program beside city-required management classes and OJT. Fire officer candidates need to realize that ultimately they are studying for a position with tremendous responsibility, not just a test that will probably wind up with agonizing and silly court battles.
I can only speak intelligently about the promotion process for driver/egineer in my department. I feel that it is a fairly good evaluation. Whats your opinion??
There is a 50 question written mutliple choice test, fill in streets map (with senerio), and a practical test (usually drafting with foam operations). We get one point per year of service (seniority). And you must be in the position below the one you are testing for at least 2 years.
They make you take a practical?? Thooose Bastards....

Tim, I like it.
Nick, after reading about your headaches I noticed an aroma I usually only smell around the Stockyards.

Instead of promoting a person based on talent, we promote them bases on issues that shouldn't have a darn thing to do with it.
Yep, it's a mess!! And good people from all ethnic groups get wounded through the process. I'm sitting on this current list, and hoping, Lord willing, to get promoted by sometime early next year. I was very bitter about it, but I've realized that being bitter only hurts me and it doesn't change the circumstances. Instead I've decided to carry on and be the best firefighter I can be regardless, and leave the rest in God's hands.

Stay safe!
Hooo ra brother

FTM
Mike you'll love this, 5 years on the job and you can test for Captain. We do skills evaluations ever year and all of that is added in as well as, 2 interviews, schooling etc. Now the chief's score counts more than interviews and written 100 question tests, of course. Normally things work pretty fairly, but at times, well you know. You could go from 5 year FF/PM to Captain, without ever putting in a day on the seat.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service