Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

How would you deal with this one as one of the first due compy officers or IC?

This is fire from the suburbs of Chicago in the mid 1970's. I think that the size of the building and the layout along with the fire situation is iot something that we'ver dea;lt qwith here on this page. What are your thoughts and how how do we deal with this as company officer and/ or the IC?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRteM8XYpEU

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately my speakers aren't working, so I wasn't able to hear any narration if there was any.

To me it appeares that there is some sort of flammable gas venting off up there? Defintely a Haz-mat type fire of some kind.

My mindset/objectives would be as follows

#1 evacuate the building. If short handed, use Law Enforcment is the less dangerous areas.
#2 attempt to cut off the fuel supply. Call the utilities department if Natural gas/propane etc
#3 right now the Haz-Mat is self mitigating. I am not going to get in a rush to put the fire out. If it is a flammable liquid thats above ground, I would rather deal with a known hazard (fire) than I would an unknown (vapors going everywhere).
#4 once I have plenty of resources to attack the fire and control the vapors, then I would begin an attack. I'm thinking a couple of Tower ladders with foam nozzles on the tips.

I know this isn't the most aggressive tactic that could be imployed, but I would hate to kill a brother or sister in one of those explosions, for nothing.

Tear it apart. Please do, I look forward to reading more posts and learning from them.

Be safe and Have Fun

Hankins
I guess the first thing you have to look at when you are going to a reported fire in a building like this is to know where you are going. By knowing the type of industry in the building can give you a huge advantage. SO, Knowing that GD Searle was part of the conglomerates Monsanto and Pfizer you have a good idea that you could be dealing with some sort of chemical fire.

The first thing I would do is to evacuate the immediate area and try and get a handle on what is burning. I would start a hazardous materials response to help with haz matty type stuff...evacuation areas, plume models and the like. Like Eric said whatever is burning no is controlling itself, by putting the fire out we could be doing more damage with water runoff. If there was a way to turn off or stop the flow of material then we should do everything possible to control it that way. If not the we have to setup the proper containment area to divert and catch any runoff from the water used to extinguish the fire.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service