Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

The department I work for has a four year minimum standards program. It was once a apprenticeship program, but we do not offer it any more. We send our canidates to the Arkansas Fire Academy for seven weeks and after that we go over it all again for four more years. The question is, could there be a better way to train our people?

I would like to know how your professional development works.

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We either send our guys to the 7 week program at our state fire academy or we hold our own if we have enough guys. The one we do ourselves is more beneficial because we can focus more on the areas we do rather than waste time on things we have never done or ways out dated. Pros and cons on bolth methods at our school we dont have to reeducate the guys when they come back on our ways of doing it, at the academy it is run more structured and a little more "boot camp" which has ts benefits. after the 7 week program the guys are on a 1 year probation period, and stay close to their assigned LT. or a senior guy until everyone is confident in their firefighting. Thats about it. Im sure I may have left out some key points but I think you probably get the general point of how we do it.
Hope this helped take care and stay safe
Thank you Shawn. It sounds as though your job is like mine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service