Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

What are you doing to mentor your new firefighters?
Is your process formal or informal?
How long does it last?
How is the process evaluated?
Describe the process.
Do you have plans to make changes or adjustments?

Views: 117

Replies to This Discussion

When I had one year in my volunteer department, I witnessed a wonderful example of mentoring, one that I've thought we could institutionalize. A former lieutenant and one of the best firefighters got one of his friends and coworkers to join. He took the new guy everywhere, they became inseparable, and the mentor taught his protege everything he knew. The result is two excellent firefighters.

The process was obviously informal, and it lasted until the newer guy moved out of the district, six years at least. This is too long for any formal mentoring program, but as they were friends, it worked well. I would like to create a formal program for mentoring our new guys. I know that I struggled sometimes learning the ropes, not having a specific person to go to for answers.

So I'd like to see the answers to Scott's questions, too. How is the mentor motivated, are there formal things they have to do together (rig checks, training, fire teams, etc.) or do you let the two decide how to do that. How did you get the program started?
BACKGROUND
To explain the impact of this, a brief background is necessary. As a rookie firefighter I was assigned to a dual company house. Because it was the Haz Mat station, it was the first time a rookie had been assigned to this particular crew…..needless to say the expectations were high. On my first shift the Captain welcomed me, and in great detail, went over his expectations of me. He was very professional and treated me with more respect than I probably deserved as the newest member of his crew.

On the second shift, after completing the morning check and breakfast, the Captain called the entire house out onto the floor. The Captain asked me to stand up in front of all, and he asked me a question about the rig. That question was followed by another question from another member of the crew and so on and so on. Each member had the opportunity to ask me any questions they wanted about anything that had to do with my responsibilities as a firefighter. If I did not know or got the answer wrong, we moved on to the next, the Captain did not allow negative comments or smart a** remarks. When the drill was done, we went about our day. As we had down time, various other firefighters would pull me aside and mentor me on the areas that I had trouble with that morning. They would work with me until I understood, often sharing stores about their experiences. This went on for about six weeks, or about the time I was able to answer all of the questions being asked of me, I don’t think we ever missed a morning. On the last shift of this drill, the Captain called all to the floor as usual. This time he had the entire crew stand in front of me and I was allowed to ask anyone, anything about their responsibilities. I can still remember that day very well and the lessons I had learned over the duration of this informal mentoring process.

I have conducted this drill many times since with very positive results. The goal is to keep it positive and remember the purpose…..to help the new guy learn his role on the team, the rig and the equipment, and for the crew to learn about the confidence and knowledge of the new guy.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service