Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Scene safety is crucial for effective fire ground management. In The June issue of Round table, I asked how your department fills the role of Safety at a fire. Here is what you said:
11 of you (or the majority) that responded have some form of 24-7 assigned dedicated safety officer. These come from all ranks except firefighter.
9 have some form of officer (mostly chiefs) on duty as safety officer during normal business hours that will respond from home if off-duty.
5 departments that responded pull an officer from one of the dispatched apparatus.
2 only fill the role at multiple alarms
2 said they use the Incident Commander as the Safety officer.
2 dispatch a second on-duty Battalion Chief
1 uses a single solitary staff Chief (don't know what happens when he is sick or out of town).
1 Used the Chief Driver
4 other responses were noted including one department that pulled the least senior firefighter off a rig for the "punishment" duty.

In my opinion, a trained officer, preferably the rank of Battalion Chief should fill the role of safety officer at every fire. Get one started and like the second in engine, if it's not needed, send-em back. But at a "working" fire of any size or type, I want a trained safety officer to fill the role and take some of that monkey off my back as IC.

What do you think?

Views: 137

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Chief,

My department fills the ISO position at all working fires. We accomplish this in one of two ways. We have four Division and Battalion Chiefs that either live in the City or right on the border. Near the end of the month, we pass a calendar and sign-up for days, and usually, we can fill the month. The City has provided each of us with vehicles, which is a fair trade-off for agreeing to stay within 10 minutes of the city limits on the days you sign-up to be the "Duty Chief".

The ISO is activated at the same time as the RIT. When a still company arrives with smoke showing, ISO and RIT are dispatched. All of the Duty Chiefs are certified Safety Officers. There are times when the Duty Chief is assigned to a position other than Safety, if the IC has a critical need for supervision in another area. If that is the case, the nearest Battalion Chief from a neighboring City is dispatched.

The other way we fill the ISO position is if the usual suspects can’t fill a day on the calendar, one of our neighboring Cities Battalion Chief will fill the role.
Chief Coleman,

I would like to start by saying that this is a great topic and by your stats we need much more work to insure the safety of all firefighters at any scene, alarm activation or working fire. Most look at the job of "SAFETY OFFICER" as a baby sitting job that has to many repercussions on the negitive side( I want to be liked by all) instead of the focus that we should do everything possible to get everyone home at the end of the day/call. Todays Fire Service still battles the old traditions amongst old and new firefighters with attitude being the stumbling block to moving forward to the serious thought of requireing a certified individual to operate as a safety officer at "ALL RESPONSES". I am a Captain and certified safety officer that does not lower any standards when responsible at any scene or around the firehouse or responding to any alarms of fire. I am liked by many but disliked by just as many because of the standards I inforce. My engine company also has non officer members certified as safety officers that inforce policy and standards and just yesterday advised a LT who came to ride my apparatus to a rit assignment, he had to gear up prior to getting on the engine as this is our riding policy! He took offense to our policy and chose not to respond. The engine went into service with a full crew and him standing muttering a few choice words that were drowned out by the siren. Outside of a few in our department, the position is filled by a retired Captain who does not make all the calls and the Chief who is assigned also lacks response. That leaves my company who takes so much crap because we follow policy and inforce safety standards all the time at all the calls! But at the end of the day we SLEEP VERY WELL !!!

STAY SAFE !! Dennis
In our department there is not a dedicated safety officer. Most of the time, the safety officer is assigned by the IC from a later arriving truck. But, many times the safety officer, just like RIT is an afterthought. Though this is begining to be a point of training. But for years the firemen and officers have been their own safety officer. Though this is not sufficient in my eyes. Everyone should always be looking out for their own safety.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service