Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

How do you keep the members interested in training? What kind of drills do you do?
Do you have any props made up? How often do you train/drill?

Views: 184

Replies to This Discussion

As a dept, we don't drill as often as we should, but we don't let that get in the way of us keeping up our skills. One of the things we do at my station is a truck drill, or a drill only for the members assigned to that truck for that day. We begin by going out and finding a good site. For instance, a rock wall that is accessible, or maybe one that is back into the woods a bit, that we can run a "victim-in-the-ravine" type of drill. The firefighters on the truck set up the drill and conduct the training ourselves. This gets us out of the station and keeps us up on the job. We usually make the training available to the other stations, and management seldom interferes with us...as long as we maintain our ability to respond to any calls. We are our own worst enemies. IF we don't push ourselves and motivate our peers, then we will fall into a rut. I would say our number one tool in keeping up our skills, and the skills of our firefighters is peer pressure. Basically we badger them into training. As for props, we usually use ourselves both as rescuer and vicim, but we don't have much in the way of other types of props. Just what we can get our hands on.
Ongoing training is always a challenge in tech. rescue. We attempt to do company training 2 - 3 times a month with full scale team drills 1-2 a year. We are working at trying to get approval for scheduled biannual or quarterly team drills. The company drills keep everyone current on the basics but you need time as a team. Interest seems to be self generating. This may be an effect of only a few team drills a year.

We currently have a couple of people working to build a simulator for us with a variety of props. Any ideas members of this fourm could provide would be greatly appreciated. Space is not an issue, and we are working with local cement comapnies to find pipe and tanks for us to put together. I have also heard of using corregated culvert. I will be interested to hear what everyone else is using. Stay safe...
Kevin,

We have been using the plastic pipe for several years. We built "vaults" out of plywood and then connected the pipes between the vaults. This gives you the option to change it around every once in a while. we are also working on the concrete pipe idea, but its hard to get set up. It also fosters another drill on moving heavy objects, using air bags to lift and then rolling on the pipes and track method. I'll try to get some pictures on my page on it soon.
Art,
My company trains 3 times per month in the fields of EMS, Firematic, and Rescue (Technical Rope, Cold Water Rescue, and Confined Space). We switch the training throughout the month to keep the interest of the members. What we also do is combine the trainings in what we call “brining it all together”, where we combine the disciplines and do scenario type evolutions.
To spike the interests of the members we also give them the ability to come up with drills on their own and run them. This keeps the membership involved and also develops future officers of the company.
Finally, we are very close with neighboring towns and drill with them as well.
What I have found is that if you mix up the training schedule and give the members the opportunity to develop their own training you will keep everyone engaged and moving forward.
DON’T be the next one, BE Safe!
Richard
Kevin,
One idea that my department has taken on, is teaming up with the local carpenter's union. This helps to strengthen the bond between the two unions, and it has allowed their new apprentices an opportunity to learn the trade. Because of this arrangement, we now have 2 , 2 story wood frame buildings inside a warehouse where we can train in. One configured mostly for RIT, but our HAZMAT guys have used it as a clandestine drug lab; and the other is setup with lean-to and pancake collapses internally, with breachable floor panels and wall panels. So far it's been a great addition to our ability to train, and the two unions couldn't have a stronger realtionship.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service