Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Brothers,
Looking for some ideas for Officers and Instructor Training for my FOOLS chapter. Almost all of the FOOLS training in the area has been geared towards basic firefighter skills and "tricks of the trade" but there hasnt been anything geared towards line officers or improving our skills as instructors. We're hoping to change it up a bit and develop a seminar geared more towards officers and or instructors. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 215

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the reply Brent, every idea helps.

Adam
Hey Andy;

I have several programs along this line that can help. You can contact me at freeder@plvw.org and I can offer some suggestions to you.
Hey Adam,
Just some thoughts on stuff that I think would be interesting training material for officers. First of all, I agree with Brent, a class on being an instructor and how to run trainings in a formal way would be good. Size up and building construction is always important because materials and building techniques are changing faster than the training. Situational awareness is kind of a new buzz word, though it's been around for years, but this is something that all officers need to know about because the lack of it is one of the major factors in LODDs and injuries. Team building is also an important skill for both officers and firefighters. Some of the really good officer instructors I've had are Ted Nee, Chase Sargent, Jim Smith, Mike Smith (DCFD Ret.), John Salka, Dave Dodson and a few others. I think the important thing for officers to learn is that being a good hands on firefighter doesn't necessarily mean you are a good officer. When you become an officer you have to learn how to get stuff done with other people's hands. Of course, you have to be knowledgable in the hands on stuff but that's not the focus of the officers fireground responsibility. Good luck with getting some training going and let me know if I can help you out further. Stay safe!
Thanks for the insight LT. as always its much appreciated and right to the point. Due to the FOOLS International Convention I think we're gonna wait until a year from now or so to try and host our Officers/Instructors seminar so we're starting the planning process well in advance. Have any of the classes you've taken truly taught situational awareness and good old fashioned officership? They both seem like such a hard concept to convey to students in a classroom setting. Thats exactly the stuff we're looking for though, things that are ultra important and often times get overlooked in your typical training sessions. Yes we can sit and talk about X,Y & Z personality types and how to deal with them but we'ld love to host a class that teaches officership at the street level. Thanks again for your input.
The best class I've taken in situational awareness was taught at FDIC by Ted Nee and a few other instructors whose names escape me. They did an overall discussion of what S.A. was, how the mind under pressure works and how to train yourself to maintain S.A. in pressure situations. The next part of the class they had computer simulations where each company officer had a computer that effected the overall simulation. So if the I.C. told truck one to vent the roof, the truck one officer used his computer to decide where to vent and once it was done you would see an overall change to the fireground. Very cool stuff. Philadelphia F.D. provided the program for the class. It was an excellent way to build some mental models. Jim McCormick of F.D. Training Network does a week long fire officer class that deals with both in the firehouse and fireground officer skills. I haven't taken the class, but I'm sure he could be a resource for ideas. One of the things that's hard when you make the transition to officer is learning to be hands off at a fire. Train your firefighters to do the skills and act as a safety watch for your crew. Unfortunately, in the under staffed companies most of us respond with, this is almost impossible to do. Once again, situational awareness! If you don't have the personnel on scene to make a successful (safe) interior attack you have to make your strategic and tactical choices with that in mind. Good luck, and again, if I can help you out let me know.
Thanks for the Info LT. that Philly program sounds like a really top notch class.
Rapid Fire Software
LISTED ON JEMS.COM, FireRESCUE1.COM, FireFightingLinks.com,
Firefighter Nation, International Fire World

EMTs, Firefighters, & Friends!
I would like to introduce you to the best EMS & Firefighter Training product on the market. Rapid-Fire is available in a Student version and a Trainers version. We have been distributing for over 15 years and have about 50 databases available. Our current distributors (see below) and customers are located all over the US and over seas; we would like to add you to that list! Here contains some information for you along with a couple of links to our site. Check us out and let us know what you’d like to add to your shelves! To place an order or become a distributor, contact us directly via 979.695.6463, support@rapidfiresoftware.com, or fax 979.696.0633.
VISTA COMPATIBLE
Whether for entrance or promotional exams, Rapid-Fire has proven to be the number one tool for quick study.
Based on the latest firefighting training manuals, Rapid-Fire is designed by firefighters for firefighters.
With Rapid-Fire study guides you are able to create multiple choice tests, up to 100 questions or chosen randomly from a database of over 1000 questions.
You will be able to select any number of questions, from any chapter, and then choose either test or study guide mode.
Each question is page referenced to its respective manual.
After taking a test, you will be able to select those questions you missed to create a whole new test to improve your knowledge and your test scores.
You can also print out the test or study guide you create.
The test printout is followed by the answer key.
The study guide questions have the correct multiple choice answer marked for your convenience.

Is there a title you'd like to see that we don't have available? Please request it and we'll do our best to make it available.

“Your test bank is one of the best that I have come across.” Jeremy Wilson Lieutenant Little Elm Fire Department
“Thank you so very much, you have no idea how much this helps.” Jon
“I got my test results today. I scored the third highest written score overall and beat the testing company average by 5 points! The product worked....!” Chris
TO READ MORE COMMENTS OR MAKE ONE OF YOUR OWN, CLICK HERE!
Student Version Click here
• Great preparation for promotional exams
• Tests available with or without visible answers
• Test generated from random questions

Trainer's Version
• Great for instructors conducting training seminars/classes
• All questions available
• Can customize your test to suit classroom needs
• Can add, delete, modify questions
• Can print out tests
• Can be used in a class room setting
Web-based Version Click here
• All available titles
• Available anywhere you can connect to the Internet
• 1,000 to 3,000 questions available for purchase.

A Few of Our Distributors
HELP LLC
Firefighters Bookstore
FSP Books & Videos
Fire Service Books
EmergencyStuff.com

www.rapidfiresoftware.com

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service