Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

What are you doing for a member that is getting ready to retire?

Views: 1731

Replies to This Discussion

Last month, the acting chief retired. He was a member of my department for 47 years all together....from a part time member, to full time, all the way up the ranks to Chief. In the last 5 years he was with our department he was Deputy Chief and when our Chief at the time was fired in December, he was promoted to Chief again. He is definately one of the people I look up to the most in this job.
I was lucky to be 1 of the 3 people planning his retirement party. We have all our retirement parties at an Irish Banquet Hall in town and send out invitations to surrounding departments. We put together a Slideshow presentation of pictures of the Chief from when he was younger, to his first years in the fire service, his family and friends all set to music. It was a hit. Everyone loved it. A lot of effort and love was put into it.
Surrounding departments, if not attending, sent plaques, cards, etc. The firemen at my department purchased a beautifully engraved mounted axe. THe Chief said instead of wanting gifts, he wanted all the money to go to the Districts Canteen. But of course he got gifts as well. But because he played such a huge part in all of our lives at this department we all pitched in and now there is a bench outside our department dedicated to him and his years of service.
And thats the thing...these retiring members have given a huge portion of their lives to their departments....they should be recognized for that.
Thanks brother!!
Hi Jessica,

Obviously he will be missed, but man what a great idea with the bench!! You're right big time in that we should recognize them for what they have done for us. Below is what's in the middle of our retiree picture board which is on the wall in our main firehouse as a tribute to our retirees. I got it from Phoenix AZ where it was displayed in their museum. It says what needs to be said!!

Be safe!!

Rick

Remember Me

I haven’t forgotten you!

No I haven’t forgotten the excitement of riding on a fire rig. Lights flashing, siren wailing, nor the feeling of a good save.

Whether it be a human life or the valued possessions of a fellow citizen.

I haven’t forgotten the feeling of standing ankle deep in boiling water on a 120 June afternoon, steam rising out of my turnouts, fighting a fire I know was caused by carelessness or worse.

I haven’t forgotten terror, of being lost in a smoke filled building… feeling the increased heat of the fire working its way through my turnout gear, or the taste of a hot cup of coffee and a cold meatloaf sandwich at four in the morning.

Now I walk into my old station, only to find it filled with strangers. I may not walk as fast or stand as straight as you. My hair may be gray and thin, and my jokes don’t come as easy as they once did. But I know in my heart that I have paid the price, and have EARNED the right to say proudly,

I AM A RETIRED FIREFIGHTER!

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service