Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

How would your City handle a Code Mandating Fire Sprinklers in Single-Family Homes?

Most people in the fire service know the incredible facts behind fire sprinklers and how they stop most fires in the beginning stages. With Housing communities being built further away from our fire stations how would you stand behind a mandate on the sprinkler code for new residential houses?

Views: 199

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Brent! This subject should be a "no-brainer", however just like everything else there is always that BAD word "politics"

Dan
We have had several communities in our state (Maine) implement local ordinances and our Fire Marshal's Office is working on a model code for communities. In addition, many Fire Chief's have recommended in formal response and at public hearings regarding fire protection for rural developments that sprinklers be part of any subdivision that is outside the hydrant area. Where as many ordinances now require that new developments be on town water if they do not have sprinklers, the cost of sprinkers ends up being much less costly then extending water lines and establishing hydrants. By default, we are seeing more sprinklers as a choice of rural subdivisions. There have been instances where communities as well as the State has attempted to mandate sprinklers and extensive resistance was mounted by the construction industry. Finding a more creative way outside of an outright mandate, and certainly including education on the benefits of sprinklers, seems to be part of the answer.
I would stand behind the sprinkler system code 100 percent,where I live ,I don't think no homes has that system.
Insurance would insist homes to have sprinkler's,to cover on their insurance,More homes would be saved.
I stand behind the sprinkler CODE,,,,
I live half a mile from our FD.
I with you on that Vicki, we currently have a 1300 house development proposed 1 mile south of our city limits and the developers want the property to be incorporated into the city so they can have everything the citizens of the city have, including: water, sewer, gas, electric, fire and police protection. This all sounds great but with our station 4 1/2 miles north of this sub-division we have some concerns, so that is why we have mandated all new homes in this division be built with sprinkler systems.
Dan

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service