Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Inspired by another post: "What hand tools do you as an Engine Company take interior with you and why?" Post your comments. You can also join the conversation on our Facebook page http://facebook.com/SuburbanFire

Views: 734

Replies to This Discussion

Spanners, Ax, Halligan, or medium size Fubar, shove knife, multi tool, knife, wire cutters, flashlight, radio, webbing - a 6' loop and a 30' length, wedges.

I always carry most of these items just in case. Webbing can be used to pull up hose or tools. loop can be used as a hose strap or as a handle. spanners in case. Ax, Halligan or Fubar are EXIT TOOLS. Wedges obvious.

Add a TIC.

NY roof hook and TIC.  Along with personal tools kept in pockets, webbing, wire cutters, screw driver, folding spanner, shove knife and radio.  The TIC is of course to search for victims and/or fire during entry and help locate hot spots during overhaul.  The Roof Hook is for pulling ceilings or opening walls to check for extension.  As a volunteer department, typically the "truck work" is done by the same people pulling in the initial attack line so we may also take a haligan and TNT tool to force entry but normally they get left next to the door.

Depending on the day and the relative humidity, there is no telling what will get brought inside. If we're lucky someone remembers the TIC. Depending on which rig I pulled up on I will grab either the irons, or a hook and attic ladder along with an extra box light. We have a lot of guys who wait until they need something and then either run back to the rig or ask someone else to grab it. I get picked on for looking like a mobile tool kit, but that's what it takes when no one else is grabbing tools. 

I know about picked on. They used to call me inspector gadget, but they were always borrowing my tools.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service