Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

We all know there are many different and unique leadership skills and abilities that various leaders posses and practice. From your perspective, what are the most effective and important skills that a fire service leader can posses and practice with their people?

Views: 387

Replies to This Discussion

I like that as well
Great words Sunshine!

Simply stated, a fire marshal that has never worked his way up as a firefighter through the ranks to lieutenant might have a hard time relating to the leadership tools possessed and the situations encountered by a company officer on a daily basis (the strategy and tactics is the easy part of the equation). They may or may not be a good fire marshal; that is irrelevant. In order to work well as a leader you need to work well as a team member. That being said, succession planning is everything in this business!
Very good point Scott. I've debated with some of our Arson Investigators over this. They hold the rank of an officer but their job duties are far different from a line officer. The rank is attached to a pay grade not a level of leadership. They do a great job at what they do and I'm sure I couldn't step over and do their jobs with any level of compantancy and I have doubts how well they'd do keeping track of crew on a fire scene and when and where a type of tactic should be used.
The issue of "sworn" fire suppression personnel and fire prevention or life safety personnel has been around a long time and is not going away any time soon I'm afraid. For example. Our department has Life safety public educators that are in uniform and wear the same badge we do (with exceptions of course). Firefighter (the rank of) wear a silver badge with a scramble in the center and "Firefighter" atop. The public educators wear the exact same badge with the title "Public Educator" atop. The argument can be made they are in the public eye and therefore need to be in uniform. The argument can also be made they did not have to do anything to "earn" their badge. Where this could become problematic is if a Life Safety Lieutenant, who has not been through the officer development program everyone else has believes they have the skill sets and leadership experience to hold the lives of a company (Engine, Ladder or Medic) in their hands. To me that becomes a safety issue. That is where I believe the situation becomes problematic.

I do not wear my lieutenants badge proudly because it makes me a leader. I consider the fact that I wear that LTs badge a privilege because I want to be a good leader!
We are going through this right now in myd FD. We have a Fire Marshall Captain, and fire investigator that havent been in the field for at least 5 years but the captain go promoted to battalion and the investigator got promoted to Lt. now they will both be back in the field.

This happened last time with a fire prevention firefighter that got promoted to Lt. then took a demotion cause he realized that we wasn't a good boss. I see this happening again.
Well brother

Maybe this time, at least for all of your sakes, it works out.

Keep the faith brother.
Brothers:

I am impressed with the way you all share ideas and debate their merits without taking offense. I really like the comment that Sunshine made about Goethe's rule. I personally have found over the years that treating a firefighter as though he is already what you want him to become has its affect. I work with mostly very young firefighters and the opportunity to mold them and teach them of character and integrity are daily occurances.

Its not a sure thing though. Some folks just don't by the idea that serving your brother is where its at. Some of them have only one member of the company in mind. The officer is automatically a problem for such people.

I believe our job is to serve the company. I command respect through my service and respect to them first, it is their desire to give that respect back to me. First in, last out extends all the way through the life of the officer. I eat last, I hit the bunk last and then I make sure I'm up first, and at 41 years of age, that getting harder every day.

I've got more on my mind. But I'll leave it at that.
lead by example is a great way to start

just cause some one had a degree or many certifications does not mean he or she is qualified

make sure your people go home safe
" TO GET YOUR MEN TO DO THE THINGS YOU ASK , NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO, BUT BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!"

Can't get more basic than that, but a good number of those in the volunteer departments in particular don't lead, they run for office, 24/7.
Brother Tom:

You hit the nail on the head in so many ways. I watch many officers struggle with this and I know at times I have to ask myself " Is my care and concern for my people affecting my leadership?" Sometimes the best thing for the people you serve is to drive them hard and show no mercy. If you truly hold them in respect and lead with humility and integrity, you will back off at the right time and have the grace to admit when you have gone wrong. They do see the integrity in that. I have recieved calls in the past from guys who moved on, thanking me for being a "a******" at times, " I needed to grow up" or " I needed a swift kick" are common responses. Usually those phone calls or emails arrive right when I need to hear them, and I feel that strong sense of purpose and confidence renewed.
Even the best of leaders have needed encouragement. All of you have written the same thing, using different language and pointing out different aspects, but saying the same thing. This is really good for all of us. Young and old. New leaders and salty ones.

Bobbin and Weavin'

Ben Fleagle
1. People skills. Understanding that everything we do involves the "human element," and that people are alike, and people are different.
2. As a leader of people, performance skills; personal and team.
3. A s a leader of teams, the "process" (getting things done) and how it links the organization's goals to the tasks performed by the "people" in the field.
Isn't amazing how many officers obtain thier bugles without knowing or having a working understanding of those three elements. I really enjoyed your series this past winter about leadership!! The problem is most of the people who need to take these things to heart do not read these articles and certainly wouldn't realize who the finger was pointing at.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service