Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I am looking for someone to teach a Large Truck extrication class at my department in Fort Mill, SC. Do you know of anyone that may be interested?

Views: 347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What type of large truck ex. are you looking for? Semi's, cattle trailers, school buses, tour bus etc. ? My self and my husband run a training company and maybe able to help you with this. We are located in Saskatchewan, Canada but are willing to travel.

Brenda,

We are located in close proximity to I-77 which is an 8 lane highway, so we were mainly interested in Large truck but if we could get access to a tour bus or school bus we would enjoy the challenge.  What kind of price range are we talking for you all to come down and put on a class.  My department is all volunteer so we would like to have a 2 day class on a weekend to make as available as possible to our members.

Thanks,

More than interested, looking forward to seeing your part of the world. The first questions are, do you have extrication tools, jaws, air bags, hand tools or would we need to bring these down with us. This is the biggest part of the costing - if you have access to tools etc. then we would fly in, if not then we will drive with the trailer.

Other costs would be accomadation, food and hourly rate for trainers. Normal hourly is $45/hour of course time allocated - example is if course calls for 16 hours, then cost is 16 times $45 times two instructors = $1440.00 canadian. However I would be willing to lower it to $1000.00 american.

The course outline would be 6 hours theory and test then ten hours hands on. How many members are on your department? Are we looking at more than 20. Is there hotels in your town?

Mileage rates would be .35 cents per mile return times 3852 miles - (per google maps) would equal - $1348.20 USD. A quick check of air fare is about $1250 return CDN.

As for food what the departments around here do is during the course they order for all participants and include the trainers. Only exception is breakfast.

Looking forward to hearing from you and what dates are you looking for?

Ron Becknell said:

Brenda,

We are located in close proximity to I-77 which is an 8 lane highway, so we were mainly interested in Large truck but if we could get access to a tour bus or school bus we would enjoy the challenge.  What kind of price range are we talking for you all to come down and put on a class.  My department is all volunteer so we would like to have a 2 day class on a weekend to make as available as possible to our members.

Thanks,

Brenda This is from FDIC 2011 if you want Todd's contact information just shoot me an e-mail at roberth@pennwell.com

Heavy Vehicle Extrication NEW!
Lead Instructor: Battalion Chief Todd Taylor, Wayne Township (IN) Fire Department
This class will allow students to better prepare for an incident involving heavy vehicles and the types of extrication scenarios that are found with vehicles of this type by discussing vehicle design and construction and how this relates to the incident. These vehicles are constructed much differently than regular vehicles. Therefore, normal vehicle extrication techniques will not accomplish the objective of safe patient removal. Students will be able to perform various techniques on actual heavy vehicles which may include semi trailers and larger vehicles. This will show techniques such as rescue from side underrides, rollovers, and rear underrides. In addition, students will be introduced to the use of rotating wreckers to assist in the rescue of potential victims.

Brenda,

This sounds pretty good to me but of course I will need to discuss it with the Chief and other officers.  We do have high pressure air lifting bags, holmatro core and twin tube tools our tools consist of 1- cutter, 1- spreader, 1-telescopic ram, 1- combination cutter/spreader, 1- large ram, 1- short ram, Junkyard dog stabilization struts and wood cribbing.  We are located about 20 miles south of Charlotte, NC and have several hotels within 5 miles of our station.  How many and what type of vehicles would we need?  I suspect that getting the trucks will be the more challenging part of scheduling.  How much notification would you like to have for scheduling 2-3 months?

Thank you,

Ron

Brenda Lapchuk said:

More than interested, looking forward to seeing your part of the world. The first questions are, do you have extrication tools, jaws, air bags, hand tools or would we need to bring these down with us. This is the biggest part of the costing - if you have access to tools etc. then we would fly in, if not then we will drive with the trailer.

Other costs would be accomadation, food and hourly rate for trainers. Normal hourly is $45/hour of course time allocated - example is if course calls for 16 hours, then cost is 16 times $45 times two instructors = $1440.00 canadian. However I would be willing to lower it to $1000.00 american.

The course outline would be 6 hours theory and test then ten hours hands on. How many members are on your department? Are we looking at more than 20. Is there hotels in your town?

Mileage rates would be .35 cents per mile return times 3852 miles - (per google maps) would equal - $1348.20 USD. A quick check of air fare is about $1250 return CDN.

As for food what the departments around here do is during the course they order for all participants and include the trainers. Only exception is breakfast.

Looking forward to hearing from you and what dates are you looking for?

Ron Becknell said:

Brenda,

Thanks,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service