Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Since we are looking at the Denver Fire Department for some great training information in relationship to firefighter rescue and survival with the Denver Drill, let’s look at another issue that Denver has attacked. Seat belts and SCBA’s.

It is a common known fact that firefighters are killed and injured each year because they were not wearing their seat belt. I personally have heard firefighters and officers make statements that are just flat out ignorant in regards to wearing seat belts.

It takes too long to do; I can’t get it on over my gear; I can’t get packed up and put my seat belt on. There are many more, but the bottom line is that a few extra seconds allows us to arrive safely and to actually make the save or make an attack on the fire.

If we don’t arrive safely, we can’t do our job. We owe it to ourselves, the people we serve and our families to arrive to calls and back safely.

The Denver Fire Department has put together this video that shows some practical solutions and methods for putting on your seat belt over your gear and pack. Put aside you ego for a few minutes and learn something and then pass it on. Officers, make your crews watch this.

Please stay safe at all times and be careful.

Views: 459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wear your seat belt! It is possible to don the SCBA shoulder straps prior to entering the roadway, then fasten your seatbelt. I've seen several firefighters get tangled when the waist belt and seat belt are worn together. How much time are we really saving? It is shameful to kill firefighters because they are not wearing their seat belts.
-How about just putting the damn SCBA on when you arrive on scene?!?! Has every brain dead, lazy firefighter forgotten how to throw an SCBA on their back or is everyone dependent upon slipping into it while seated in the cab?
-Gear up, belt in and don the damn SCBA when you arrive on scene and are exiting the rig. Not that hard.
-I have even heard good arguments for taking the SCBA out of the cab and mounting them in exterior compartments again. I'm not saying I would... but I have heard some good compelling arguments.
-Last week one of our firefighters fell out of a moving apparatus and was seriously injured while attempting to dress out in the cab.
-Safe arrival is everything. You can't be a superhero if you don't get on scene.
-I am tired of all these excuses by firefighters that attempt to justify unsafe or foolish practices by explaining how much time they save.
-Do the job correctly and you won't need to use half assed short cuts. Slow is fast; fast is slow.
i have to say that our Board as of last Voted and approved a mandatory Seatbelt policy for all that ride in Fire District vehicles . Althought this is meeting opposition from several i believe in time it will be accepted.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service