Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Check out the link to this video of a backdraft that injured one firefighter.   I don’t know that there is a lot that could have been done because it is such a short clip.

But, it is important to look for the signs and read the signs of smoke conditions that could indicate a backdraft.

Let me know what you think and stay safe out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQWNCeCBvQ

http://firefightersenemy.com

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My crew used this video for training a couple weeks ago, needless to say we looked at it a number of times. I brought about alot of discussion about building construction, reading smoke, and tactics, to name a few it proved to be an outstanding training tool. It all comes down to how are we going to handle the same situation, with our staffing and companies that respond on our first alarms. Short clips are sometime the best!

Be Safe!
Jeff
-Wow!!! I would love to know more about this incident, the FD that responded, resources on scene and the tactics involved as well as an update on the condition of the injured.... anything more would be great.
-Without knowing any of this additional information it is really difficult to understand what we're looking at, its validity as a training aid and difficult to comment on.
Yeah, I will try to find out more. I had never seen something like that so it was interesting. I will post what I find out.

Michael Bricault said:
-Wow!!! I would love to know more about this incident, the FD that responded, resources on scene and the tactics involved as well as an update on the condition of the injured.... anything more would be great.
-Without knowing any of this additional information it is really difficult to understand what we're looking at, its validity as a training aid and difficult to comment on.
It would be interesting to find out more Jason. I'm looking as well. With more info, I'd be able to use this again in training. Our first time with this clip, many thought it was a lazy fire in the second floor or attic, then boom! The biggest lesson the guys took away that morning, Brick, was never get complacent, it was a great start!

Be Safe!
Jeff
-Interesting. I've been telling firefighters for years that the single biggest contributing factor in a line of duty death is COMPLACENCY.

Jeff Schwering said:
It would be interesting to find out more Jason. I'm looking as well. With more info, I'd be able to use this again in training. Our first time with this clip, many thought it was a lazy fire in the second floor or attic, then boom! The biggest lesson the guys took away that morning, Brick, was never get complacent, it was a great start!

Be Safe!
Jeff
I am trying to find out more, but, I am having difficulty contacting someone from this call. I will keep trying and will pass along what I find out.
Wow! Not sure what else to say. I wish there was more video in the beginning, it looked as though the FD expected something to happen with all of the ladders they had up. But from what could be seen it did not appear to be much smoke just the one little puff from the gable vent then it all changed quickly. Looked as though no one was hurt which is good, that could have been real bad.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service