Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Using a fan during a fire attack. This has been a big controversy at our department. I have done a lot of research on PPA. If done correctly, it would allow engine companies to make a quick attack or rescue without having to wait for a h*** to be cut. It would lessen the chance of flashovers and increase the chance of victim survivability. Don't get me wrong, nothing is better than a well place vertical cut, but we all know that it can take a while for the 2nd,3rd or 4th due engine/truck to get up and cut it effectively. I have used PPA once and it worked great. I wanted to get some feedback on any departments that use PPA and how did you get your department to fully support it. Bottom line is that I want our engine companies to be as safe and efficient as possible.

Views: 210

Replies to This Discussion

At my full time Department, we use PPA. PPA was in place well before I got to the Department. I am still trying to sell my part time Department on the idea. I can bear witness that if PPA is practiced and trained upon with everyone on the same page, it works wonders. It takes an orchestrated effort by the Engine, Truck, and IC in order to effect success with this evolution. First and foremost, one must vent ahead of the Eng Co to establish an exhaust point and we must stay in constant communication with the Eng Co. My part time Department has slowly been coming around to accepting the tactic and we did this by videos of successful PPA jobs which minimized Interior teams getting beat up with high heat, heavy smoke, and zero visibility. Another valuable tool in selling the concept is training burns. We are fortunate in my area that my full time Department is in the same District as my part time Department so they guys have seen PPA in effect. Nothing sells like good old fashion hands on experience.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service