Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

I have been a proud member of the local 157. I totally agree with what the union stands for and appriciate all the hard work that is done on my and others behalf. BUT why ohhhh why do they insist on protecing a so-called brother who doesn't act "brotherly?" Meaning, the guy who won't learn his job, doesn't care to learn his job, will only show any excitement when he's trying to get out of work and puts other brothers and sisters in peril by his give less than a damn attitude? If any action is attempted agaist this supposed sibling the Union springs into action to help this "brother."

Somebody splain that to me.

Views: 289

Replies to This Discussion

Very well said Ben, you are the man of words!

Be Safe
Jeff
I appreciate the props, but really I've just been giving "Brotherhood and Leadership" a significant amount of my time. I see good union actions out there, that's one reason we have considered going union. I've seen some really bonehead stuff too. Same for management. We have it really good in our department, so the members feel like "why rock the boat?". What frustrates me is all the "leadership" training that has nothing to do with leadership, and the talk of Brotherhood that has nothing to do with Brotherhood. So I can see both sides of the coin. Far too often, heads are down. Just because you are in the position to represent all of the union brothers, or lead the department, does not a leader make.

Both of you press on! This is good stuff!

Ben
Why are we so against not allowing someone to not make probation if they do not make the cut? The probation period on my job is for 18 months.That should be more than enough time to figure out if someone is going to make it or not. Why do we keep problem children, then complain about how much they suck for the next 20 years? Now yes, we do sometimes inherit the problem from years past, but why should the practice be allowed to continue.

It is a brotherhood, and some should not be allowed in!! This is why we have lists. If someone does not cut it, go to the next one. But for some reason, we do not like to do that either. Once a bonehead is in the union, it is hard to get them out. I am 100% union proud, but maybe probies should not be allowed in the union until they make probation and the membership, depending on size, should vote on them. Their training jacket should be included as well. If they do not cut it, they are gone. No hassle, no problems. Next in line comes on. This way no union issue.

But for the current union problem, that is a hard one. Maybe we can write in an escape clause in our contracts to get the slugs out when needed.
That's a great point Joe and I wish I knew an absolute answer. Sometimes I know an employee can make it through their probabation just fine and then their true colors come through. An old Lt. once said, "the worse thing that happens to new boys is that they get their year on." Oh how true that is in some instances.

On the other hand, there are times when the signs are there and the evaluating officers don't have the guts to do what is right and properly document deficient performance. Other times, the probie does just enough to fulfill the requirements which makes it difficult to point out a good enough reason to fire them. I wish there were some way to evaluate attitude and I wish the officer's intuative impression about the probationary employee could factor in more.

In my department, the probie is given union protection as soon as they get out of the academy, which chaps my hide. The union wants to sign them up in the local as soon as possible because if they don't let them join the union until they end their probation, there is a real chance the person won't join the union. And to be fair, depending on state law, the union may be legally obligated to represent every employee in the department whether they are a dues paying member or not.
Great point, both to Joe and Mike. Many times, some folks do ok for the year probie time and tend, I've heard, to show true colors, after that wand of probation passes. Joe you make a good point about an escape clause, but I believe that would be a heck of a fight, to include something like that, needed or not. Mike, it would be nice to be able to, at times, use the officer's gut feeling about a probationary employee. That's another perfect world scenerio and almost a whole other topic. As a boss we need to hopefully, push to get as much out of the new member as possible, to see potential or lack there of. As the saying goes, When in doubt lead" have the backbone to make a decision.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service