Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

In my city we have a fire code which specifies spring operated PRV's set at a discharge pressure of 165 psi. This has created an interesting situation where pressures are "too high" for a smoothbore nozzle and 2.5" hose lines.

Does anybody else deal with high pressure standpipe systems? How do you operate?

We have the tallest buildings (so I'm told) west of the Mississippi river, "state of the art" fire pumps and full sprinklers in most of these buildings. (Except for the ones that don't.) As a result we are stretching 200 feet of 1.75" hose lines with "dual" pressure 100 psi fog nozzles with the goal of flowing 150 gpm. The PRVs are not field adjustable or removable and I hope they are installed correctly.

Tom Hofland
Seattle

Views: 759

Replies to This Discussion

Tom,
Scaling is absolutely a critical concern with SP ops with fog nozzles. I have seen them shut down entirely by rust and crud. The initial flows often look like crude oil. I would avoid this option at all costs. Smaller hose will increase the FL, and depending on the length of stretch, 165 psi may not be too terribly high. 200 ft at 180 gpm requires approximately 150 psi with a solid tip, so you are in the ball park. This flow is likely to suffice for many residential fires, but of course, it is too low for serious fires in any occuppancy.I would suggest a screw gate with a pressure gauge downstream.

Tom Hofland said:
Chief,

Considering the nature of these PRV’s what are your thoughts about making the best of them? Does a fog nozzle make sense? Or is introducing friction into the system a better option?

Is scaling or restricting volume a greater problem in your mind? I know these are not ideal trade offs but they are my reality. Another option might be the use of a smaller (high friction loss) hose to flow high volumes through a smoothbore tip? (Greater than 200 gpm through a 1.75” line and an over pressurized smoothbore tip?)

If such high flows were expected through the small line a large play pipe is probably needed to reestablish laminar flow at the discharge orifice. I am not sure how/if this would work or effect stream pattern and reach.

Tom
Isn't it great to have so much experience in this group? Thanks for your insight Chief, it is tremendously appriciated.

Tom,

Does your department currently use any type of in-line pressure gauge for Standpipe Ops? If so, what?
Mr Walker,

Seattle does not currently use an inline gauge during standpipe operations. However they have recently been added to our "minimum inventory" for engine companies so we are making progress. What is on paper and reality are not the same thing in my world but signals the long term goals of those with interest and energy but not rank.

We have an amazing training captain who is bringing Chief McGrail to lecture at the academy. I think it may spur some thinking about how we operate.

Tom
Chief McGrail performed miracles when he spoke for my department recently. He is extremely convincing. Good luck brother.
Art
Check out Kochek. I heard they are working on a one piece built elbow with a built in gauge. We use their inline gauges as they are less expensive and beefier than the others. We have 90 degree light weight 2 1/2" elbows, and they both work great.
I hope more of the brothers are starting to use the inline gauges. I did an article 3 months ago in FE. If anyone here does not know what they are for, check it out.
Be safe
Russ

Art Zern said:
Les,

Great response. Are you aware of anyone who makes longer 60 degree elbow with a gauge? I have been looking for the elbow with gage, so far no luck.

Again great response and good advise on Dave's writings. I would recommend Dave's book Firefighting Operations in High-rise and Standpipe Equipped Buildings.
Thanks,

Art

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service