Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

What type of hook do you prefer to use. Z hook, Pike Pole....ect. I am looking to see what peoples feelings are. On our trucks we carry Pike poles and Z hooks. I prefer to use the Z hook. I just seem to have better luck with this hook versus the pike pole.

Views: 1461

Replies to This Discussion

30" halligan is the absolutly perfect took for interior search and rescue. No doubt about it. However, we get a ton of fires in unoccupied homes and this tool is GREAT at opening up voids, pulling ceiling, opening trash compactors (i just found that one out minutes ago), and other everyday overhaul work. depending on where i am riding it may not be my first tool of choice, however if we happen to be second in, its in my hand.
the "Griffigan" is also great at removing security bars on residential and commerical structures. The four foot length provides great leverage when popping the mounts (When the aze is placed between the wall and the security bars).

This tool would have done you well when you married that 6ft hook to a halligan, especially in a residential setting it still a little short for opening the ceiling up in your local bodaga (see attached pic) , but like i said i dig it and thus far it works for me.

A "D" handled Z hook, is my hook ! Todd McKee
Hey:

Timmy came by just now, I sometimes wonder if L108 ever wonders where he's drifted off to? I showed him the new hooks and he got all jacked up and started showing me his own personal choices for it. He loves the Roof hook, but he always forgets that we don't have 100 year old Brownstones' in Fairbanks Alaska. I have to remind him sometimes that we probably won't ever have to stick the roof hook down the vent pipe on the roof and use it for an anchor, and I think there's probably only one scuttle hatch in town. (Well, theres more, but not like every building in Brooklyn).

Hey, check your email. See ya, Brother!
I've had bad experiences with the clemens hook, i didnt think it was practical
I'm with you. The NY hook is my first choice typically. Depends on the job.
We carry three differnet hooks. Of course all trucks still carry the traditional pike pole 12'. We carry these due to we have a large number of Victorian house and need the added length to punch though the ceiling after vent opps, or in that case to reach high ceilings for overhaul.
Our "tools" or "inside" ff on the truck will carry a 6' roof hook or z hook...whichever name you prefer, this also appiles to the "backup" ff on the engine.
In going to the roof we are switching to all 8' LA trash hooks. This is different then the 6' that we use to carry. We have found that the bigger surface area with the back side of the hook allows you sound sound the roof a little better. The added two feet also allows you to sound further ahead of you, and give you two extra feet to punch though if need be.
Believe it or not, the most versitile hook I've found is the San Francisco hook!
If used properly, a 6 ft NY roof hook can be a very versatile and effective hook. It can be used to force some doors, scuttles, or hatches. It can be used to open ceilings and walls(especially using the "Punch" method). it can be used to search areas, control doors, OVM, and roof ops. The extent of this tools limitations are as vast as our imiginations and ingenuity will carry us. A regular pike pole was very effective in it's day, but it can not compare to a steel roof hook.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service