Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Let's bring this to a seperate topic. The lack of respect form the younger members, and the lack of knowledge in our line. First, I am a firm believer in minimum standards for officers. And I think this is part of the problem we face. When we were "younger" we were aggressively taking every class we could get, but part of the issue therein is the lack of training available to these kids, and the lack of proper leadership/discipline at the instructor level. Getting back to the subject at hand, when we bacame officers, albeit at a young age, all 4 of us, we had knowlwdge, and we had mentoring from the senior guys in the house, who beat the crap out of you if you got smart or out of line. Has the fire service gone soft? Can we change this at the local level?

Views: 146

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you, when he instructors that have no idea what to teach or how to teach. We loved being firehouse rats, Me and Ben got in the same time and same department and fought our first fire together, remember Little Lane!!! Christ we both worked a the same gas station so we could go to calls!!!. Those days are gone I feel. Honestly I have never dealt with a Duty Crew System, Ben maybe can state better, Do these guys train when they are there or just play video games. Jake I know you guys are doing that program with SCCC what are those requirements??? The problem I think and its always been and all 4 of us know the role of the officer is a popularity contests. It's not what you know, its how much a** you kiss, that is why we end up with the leadership we have. All four of us have been labeled as cocky and a-holes and knocked out of office because of our standards, however with more direct leadership likke ours we maybe can get back to the go old days
Me cocky and an A-h***? Wow, you do know me better than I thought! But seriously, you are right. Me and Sherm got in around the same time as well. As for our program with SCCC/HVCC, we are still writting it, but it will require bunkers to participate in a certain number of drills/training exercise, make a certain percentage of calls, and have station duties, as well as keep academic standards (a 3.0 minimum I believe). Getting back to our other issue here, our kids hang out at the firehouse like we did, the difference is that we had older guys hanging out there also, teaching us how to act, and how to respect the senior guys. How to learn from them. This all goes back to, in my opinion, the lack of mentoring. We try it, and it works when we actually mentor someone. But it is hard and very time consuming, and the participants have to want to be mentored.
I don't know if we have gotten soft, I tend to think it is just complacency and laziness. Let's face it, without continuing education requirements, as firefighters we have no need to train and educate ourselves. Some departments have requirements, but for the most part where I am at, our region is pretty "lax" in what is required after you get out of the academy. As far as officers go, it's even worse. Many of our requirements for promotion alone are not enough. I've heard board members make statements like, "I'd rather have a guy with a little gray in his hair as an officer than a book smart young guy." What about a guy with both? Things aren't all bad, though, I see young guys and gals eager and those are the ones we have to sink our talons into and keep on the straight and narrow. Stay safe.
RESPECT, I remember when you called all members within the department by their rank. The fire service used to be a passion, a member of the community that was looked upon or called upon to help or lend a hand. I do not believe that it is a lack of training or the availability thereof... I believe it starts with ones ATTITUDE. The fire service has became just another job. The younger the leader the more of a friend they want to become... the kinder, gentler fire service... how can I be liked. It seems that if the younger membership does not like you or disagree with your leadership style they hide behind the local union, not to say that we would not be where we are without strong leaders on that side of the fence. The yonger generation attempts to punish a strong leader because of his/her training habit, knowledge, and education of the fire service, or should we say those minimum standards learned from that officer that beat the crap out of us for smarting off or getting out of line.

In order to make a change at the local level we must first call upon each other. Stand up for and do what is right... treat everyone consistently.. follow the policies... develop PRIDE AND OWNERSHIP from within... find that "younger kid" beat the crap out them... share your experiences... give them the respect they deserve... pat him/her on the back for a job well-done... after all the fire service will be only as good as we leave it for the "younger kids."
there is a sever shortage of respect these days. In my career department, addressing by rank is not an issue, it is done. In my volunteer department, it's another issue. I am seeing a change in attitude by our officers, in refeering to officers by rank, and having probies also do the same. We actually had a new, and I mean 2 days, member refer to an assistant chief by his last name only..."where is Smith?" He was advised very abruptly as to how to refer to an officer. I have to disagree with Jason (and I am sorry, I am not sure what rank you hold), but it is not complacency and laziness. At a drill the other night I observed 3 probies standing, watching an assistant chief drain a hose line. I pulled them aside and explained the theory of life, their life, in the fire service, and how short lived it would be if they ever did that again. I do agree with Chief Schmidt that there is no pride of ownership (yes, I said pride of ownership, and not pride and ownership) with theses kids. This is a different generation. This is, after all, the "give me" generation. What is in it for me, not what can I give back. A local career department actually filed a grievence because they were required to do training on a Sunday!!! Come on here guys, girls, let's cut the s*** here. Grow up, respect those who have earned the right to be respected. We have got to start at the top with this, and MAKE IT roll downhill, all the way down, to the newest probie.
Jake, I think you hit the nail on the head... "What is in it for me!" That is what I am beginning to see in my career department. YES, it has to start with the Fire Chief and move down the chain.

RSS

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service