Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Furniture company

Rating:
  • Currently 5/5 stars.

Views: 122

Comment

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

Comment by Bobby Halton on May 31, 2012 at 10:20am

Steve thanks for posting this excellent video Chicago does a wonderful job with their apparatus placement and the use of master streams in controlling this potentially devastating fire. Great choice by the CFD in using defensive tactics on this furniture store, you can also see the high wind conditions they were battling. I took the liberty of grabbing the description you sent me yesterday and posting it here thanks again outstanding video. 

The following description is from Steve Redick :

2455 N Sheffield, yesterday afternoon.2 story L shaped furniture company, set in a crowded busy area and right up against the CTA elevated brown line tracks. Heavy fire was venting from the overhead dock door area upon CFD arrival. This building, from what I was told by CFD command staff, was originally 1 story with a wooden truss (non bowstring) type roof. A 2nd floor was added about 15 years ago right on top of the original roof, and a concrete floor was used. This made for extremely difficult access to the now concealed former roof area, resulting in heavy smoke and minimal progress for several hours. Companies were withdrawn very early in the incident and were outside prior to my arrival on scene, about 20 minutes after the 3-11 was transmitted. The smoke conditions were fluid due to swirling winds on a hot and windy day. I have enclosed several images, taken over about a 3 hour period.Note the cracks developing on the wall to the left of the overhead bay door. The CTA trains were shut down at the peak of rush hour, and as a cubs game let out adding to the general chaos of the evening commute. I have prepared a video and will update with a link soon.
All of the images will be on my site  www.ksc711.smugmug.com.

Policy Page

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/archives.

Fire Engineering Editor in Chief Bobby Halton
We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our policy page HERE. -- Bobby Halton

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Monday at 7:30 p.m. EDT

Main Street Firefighting

with

Joe Pronesti

CALL IN AND JOIN THE SHOW

1-877-497-3973 (Toll Free)
or 1-760-454-8852

Check out the schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2019   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service