Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Art Zern's Comments

Comment Wall (44 comments)

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

At 7:13pm on January 28, 2009, Mike Walker said…
YOu have some great pics. there is one black and white of what could be a recruit class Pic 47 ; That wouldn't happen to be your recruit class would it? :)
At 10:59am on January 28, 2009, Cheryl Horvath said…
Maybe Wisconsin has it right - state law that you cannot fire a fire chief. Unfortunately that can work for or against the cause.
Leadership is the answer to so many problems we face, this one included, but unfortunately the term as gone by the wayside due to overuse. I wish I had the answer Art but please know I feel your pain and have for many years, including my years as union president. We have 4-person companies here but every once in awhle someone will pipe up with the idea of reducing staffing to 3 and putting more trucks on the street as the answer to some of our response issues. I always tell them my stories of working in Urbana on 3-person companies, sometimes 2 if the city did not want to overextend overtime funds due to end of the year fiscal "crisis." You cannot be effective with a 3-person force even removing firefighting from the mix. Imagine a MVA response on the expressway with so many safety issues to consider and control. Yes, we are running more EMS and less fire, so frame the discussion in terms of EMS response if that is what gets the point across. We still need 4, period.
Okay, now you have me ranting and I need to get back to work. Be safe everyone and stay the course.
At 4:53pm on January 20, 2009, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
Art, I just added a blog, Residential Search; Complacency and Priorities that you can find on my page. Give it a look if you have some time. Take care and stay safe.
At 4:29pm on January 16, 2009, Rick Decorie said…
Art,
I served on Danville. Got my start up in Blue Island.
At 4:50pm on January 15, 2009, Dave Gallagher said…
Also, great logo there. May I have permission to copy that?
At 4:36pm on January 15, 2009, Dave Gallagher said…
HI Art! I think we've met... I am/was an adjunct field inst. for the U of I. Did a couple of Fire Colleges and worked for Buck in TIC and Chief Brady in 1st Arriving C.O. Things are good and I would love to get back out to Champaign some time.
Take care and be safe
At 8:40pm on January 10, 2009, Rob Cannon said…
Chief, thanks for the kind words and understanding on my situtation. I look forward to many great discussions and learning from you int he future!
At 9:06pm on January 5, 2009, Todd Trudeau said…
Art,
I was referring to "Jerry McGuire"... you had me at hello. LOL. Roseville is NE suburb of Detroit. If you're familiar with the area, 13 mile rd and Gratiot area
At 7:34pm on January 1, 2009, Rich Collins said…
Hey Art,
Thanks for the invite. Florida is great, and it is a new position. Having fun but still miss my friends from IL. Thanks for setting up the FSI group as it helps me stay in touch with my friends back home. Take care, and stay safe, Rich
At 8:23pm on December 20, 2008, Christopher Naum, SFPE said…
Hey Chief, thanks for the add...
Stay in touch
At 4:44pm on December 18, 2008, Joe McClelland said…
Thanks Art. That means a lot. I look forward to the posts in this thread.

Hane a great holiday.
Joe
At 3:11pm on December 11, 2008, Jim Mason said…
You guys have hi rises right? How are you on that stuff?
At 9:06pm on December 9, 2008, Brandon Roark said…
Art, next time you decide to don your hoosier shoes give me a yell. I am a fireman in South Bend, not to far from middlebury at all. I am always down for a good brew/cup o'java/lunch/etc... I am also up in your area pretty often, my in-laws live in geneva.
At 9:05pm on December 1, 2008, Eric Hankins said…
Chief,

Thanks for your comment. I aggree, Mac and EE are too solid Brothers. I have had the honor and priviledge to see them speak twice back east. Motivational Speakers doesn't even begin to describe what they do. I look forward to actually "meeting you in the future. Are you going to FDIC or The FOOLS convention next year? If so, I'll see ya there.

Be safe Brother,

E
At 8:33am on August 13, 2008, Paul Combs said…
Thanks, Chief!
At 12:12am on June 4, 2008, Drew Smith said…
I got your e-mail and I'll call you soon.
At 7:33pm on May 19, 2008, Anthony Avillo said…
there's no business like truck business
truckies make the best chiefs
At 9:07pm on May 18, 2008, Anthony Avillo said…
hi art
welcome to the page
some great pics
stay safe out there
aa
At 10:24pm on May 17, 2008, Art Zern said…
Thanks Mike, a little old and a little new.

Art
At 9:10pm on May 17, 2008, Mike Walker said…
Those pictures on your page are awesome.

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service