Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Jim Mason's Comments

Comment Wall (122 comments)

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

At 6:22pm on November 26, 2008, Mike Walker said…
Next month McGrail will be in town and we are going to teach my guys our new SOP and Line Operations. We will be taking the remainder of the department through the school over the winter. Should be interesting. It has been years in the making, I'm glad we're finally able to pull the trigger on it. The biggest resistance I've faced is getting the absolute need for smoothbore operations in these types of fires but we're getting there. I'll let you know how the December school goes
At 5:59pm on November 26, 2008, Mike Walker said…
I just teach High-Rise to my own guys. Our SOP is much like Chicago's. I've been able to attend you all's confrence before and loved it. Tried to go back this year but didn't have the funding. Maybe next year.
At 9:13am on November 26, 2008, Bryon Woodward said…
Ya, can't wait. You can't beat training that good only a couple hours from home.
At 4:09pm on November 24, 2008, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
Hi Jim. Interesting new topics. I really like them.
-Crazy how one conversation spawns another......
-Keep up the good work.
BRICK
At 10:05pm on November 23, 2008, Joe McClelland said…
Thanks Brother. Just trying to do a little good with the time I have.
At 12:07pm on November 22, 2008, Andrew Brassard said…
Hey Bro,

You get the video I sent you?

Stay Safe,
Andrew
At 1:14pm on November 19, 2008, Michael Bricault (ret) said…
Hey Jim, sent you a message in the internal email here listed at the top of the page in the personal tool bar.
At 10:04am on November 19, 2008, Bryon Woodward said…
Jim,

Glad to be here :-) We receive 18 people on a first alarm assignment, which includes an ALS ambo, 2 trucks (1 is a FAST truck), 2 engines, a heavy rescue and a command car . Our primary vent is probably horizontal, but we have an preassigned vent group (outside and inside) and if command does not state his preference, then they make the decision on where. If we come across a VES situation, then our outside group handles it and if needed, then our inside group hooks up and works VES with them. We are located right next to South Bend, about 90 miles from you guys.

Bryon
At 12:25am on November 18, 2008, Doug Ott said…
Jim, Fire duty is slow. On average we can count on 1 or 2 working fires a month in a "good" year. Sometimes we get a good run of them and get our morale up and our tactics running smoothly and then the fires quit coming for a while. Such is life. Stay safe.
At 8:58pm on November 17, 2008, Andrew Brassard said…
Hey Brother,

Good to meet you in Morris, I hope all is well in the "Windy City".

Stay Safe
Andrew
At 1:54pm on November 17, 2008, Doug Ott said…
Jim, I'm happy to be here. I need as much help as possible when it comes to learning about our job. I'm from a combination department that is about 90% paid, myself included. We have about 10 volunteers these days and I didn't want to disrespect the effort that they put in by clicking the "paid fire department" option. So naturally we don't have the day/night staffing issues that other departments have. We have 5 houses with one company each and 4 of those houses have 4 firemen and the remaining house has 3 for now. We're hoping to add the fourth guy to that house in the next few years. All of the firemen are 24-hour. With vacation/sick days we are able to go down to 3 per truck except for our busiest house where the required staffing is 4 all of the time. Our volunteers do ride-a-longs as a part of their requirements for membership. The extra hands are always nice.
Anyway, thanks for having me. I'm really loving this community FireEngineering has set up. Stay safe, Doug.
At 2:47pm on November 16, 2008, Jim Wilk said…
Jim,

Thanks a lot for starting this group. I am taking a promotional exam in January. There is always a fire problem and these scenarios with your questions will help me out. Thanks again.
At 2:15pm on November 15, 2008, Harry Harty said…
Hi Jim
I haven't forgotten you.I've been giving your queries some serious thought and will get back to you and the group.Harry!
At 10:40am on November 13, 2008, Rick Fritz said…
FORWARD that should be!
At 10:39am on November 13, 2008, Rick Fritz said…
FE is great to work with, they are the only ones I'll work with. Looking forwar to CSF!
At 8:31pm on November 12, 2008, Joe Heim said…
Jim,

This is an excellent group! I am gaining alot on information and knowledge from everyone that contributes to the discussions. The discussions keep you thinking and adds to the tools already in the tool box. Hope all is well!!

Stay Safe!!

Joe
At 8:24pm on November 12, 2008, Art Zern said…
Hey Jim,

A pleasure, thanks for starting the group. I'll look forward to each topic. Yes, Dave is an old friend and I had the pleasure of arriving early at his 5-11 this summer. A long night with alot of work to do. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Art
At 7:52pm on November 12, 2008, Harry Harty said…
Hi Jim
Actually I'm a past chief of the Otisco department but I'm still active and serve as president now.Otisco FD is a small rural department covering the eastern half of the town of Otisco. Amber FD protects the other half which includes a large portion of Otisco Lake,the eastern most Finger Lake.The town is in southwest Onondaga County ,whose principle metro area is Syracuse.
At 10:05am on November 8, 2008, Mike Cervik said…
I think this site is a great way for us to train and to share our experiences with others. I look forward to learning from others. Yeah, Valpo is only about an hour or so. I hope everyone in the Engine that was involved in the crash is OK.
At 4:39pm on November 7, 2008, Todd Trudeau said…
Thanks again Jim, I was already checking out your CSF group. All good stuff thanks.
Stay alert! Todd

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service