Fire Engineering Training Community

Where firefighters come to talk training

Jim Mason's Comments

Comment Wall (122 comments)

You need to be a member of Fire Engineering Training Community to add comments!

Join Fire Engineering Training Community

At 2:49pm on December 9, 2008, Eddie Cornejo said…
The studying is going allright. A few of us are starting a group session, hopefully we'll be meeting every week. I'm glad you're not stuck in Europe!
At 1:11pm on December 9, 2008, Jamie Morelock said…
Jim,

Do not approve this message call my cell ASAP 419-377-4728, I think someone hacked into your e-mail.

Jamie Morelock
At 10:56am on December 9, 2008, Harry Carter said…
OK, I will take a look..
At 12:27am on December 9, 2008, Rick Lasky said…
Hi Brother Jim,

Hope all is well buddy.

Be safe
At 4:05pm on December 8, 2008, Doug Price said…
Thanx Jim, Hickory and Valdese are in the foothills of western NC. I am full time with HKY, first due alarms is 2 Engines with 4, Ladder with 3 and BC with 1, at Vladese its a combo department so it depends on the time of day. HKY is trying to start running a rescue truck depending on the monies you know. HKY has 115 supression. Also trying to get a second ladder up and running but you know how that goes. Looking foreward to doing alot of reading in this group. Thanks again.
KTF
At 3:27pm on December 8, 2008, Wayne Benner Jr said…
Hey Jim,
Our first due response during the day would be 15-20 which includes Chief and (3 career on shift manning the 1st away Engine-Cpt & FF2x) Our career staff get automatic call back for all general alarms. most use their own POV as the callback FF take the 2nd away Eng and Ladder truck. It works for us.
Wayne
At 4:52pm on December 7, 2008, troy kerckhove said…
Our response for a res. fire 3 eng,1 ladder (3 firefighters each), rescue 4 firefighter, medic, safety, bat chief fast truck. Comercial 1 more eng and ladder. Currently there is no real officer development being done other then s&t and FO1 state cert class. I feel we are needing to work more on the tactics side of being an officer. I see many of our officer old and new using old world tactics in modern day structures.
At 2:49pm on December 6, 2008, Mike Kuryla IV said…
Jim, I think you got me confused with someone else about the member from T11 getting burned while preforming VES. As to how many members we get on a still alarm it varies. Where I work full time in Oakbrook Terrace we usually get 4 from Elmhurst, and 4 from York Center as well as the 4 of us so most of the time if we pull up and its going good we box it.
At 8:39am on December 6, 2008, Bill Shouldis said…
Glad to see your articles and comments in the magazine .Just had the pleasure of meeting Chief Van Dorft(?) at the National Fire Academy for a wind-driven program. Also, a former chief Dr. Don (EMS background) and I have been working on an ICS for EMS pilot. He is invovled with smoke inhaltion patients. Take care and stay warm during the upcoming "Fire season". Bill Shouldis
At 8:35pm on December 5, 2008, Harry Carter said…
Jim..

Please work hard on your Common Sense Firefighting book. Id there is anything we really need it is common sense. More than that, we should start shooting for some good old "horse sense"..

Harry
At 6:50pm on December 5, 2008, Tom Dunne said…
Jim, Hope you have a great holiday. Stay safe, look forward to seeing you at FDIC next spring. Tom
At 3:32pm on December 5, 2008, Jeff Clayton said…
Thanks Jim,

I'm with the Brampton, Ontario Fire Department. We have 11 stations, 16 pieces of staffed apparatus and protect 450,000 people. We are mainly a bedroom city for Toronto, but have many industrial and commercial properties.

On a first alarm we'll have 2 Engines (Pumps, here in Canada) an Aerial, District Chief and a RIT truck. That brings us a total of 12 people for the fire, one commanding officer, and a 4 person RIT.

Thanks again,
Jeff
At 1:39pm on December 5, 2008, Eric Hankins said…
Jim

thanks for the Welcome. CSF looks like a good group.

YCFD get 3 engines and a Battalion for a total of 10 personnel. less than ideal but better than the 6 we used to get 8 years ago.
At 1:13pm on December 5, 2008, Edward Moore Jr said…
Jim, Thanks for welcoming me to the group. As you mentioned in your question, I am a career Lieutenant in a combination fire department. What has become pretty common in central New Jersey is combination departments that staff stations during daytime hours. Our department staffs three fire stations (2 Engines and 1 Truck) from 8a - 4p Monday through Friday. Nights and weekends are covered by the volunteer fire companies.
During the day, we have a career Chief who directs operations. We utilize the incident command system so the first arriving officer, career or volunteer, takes command. We receive mutual aid from other compaines in our town that also have career firefighters and also from the volunteer forces. There are four fire companies in Jackson Township all will career staff during the day. Structure fires during that day will provide approximately 14 career firefighters combined in town, a chief, and about 10 or more volunteers from the four fire companies.The problem with our town is that it is 100 square miles so you do not get all these people right away. It can be 10-15 minutes before your second due piece arrives in some areas. Thanks.
At 10:28am on December 5, 2008, David Bullard said…
I will check it out Brother. I have been trying to find your email for a couple of years. I had met you in Hooters at FDIC 05 and exchanged email addresses. We had a server problem and I got your emails 2 months later, but could not retrieve and open them to reply. I have no idea what we had discussed, but it related to size up and an article you had just written at the time.

Thank you Brother. You probably don't recall, but I still wanted to apologize.
At 4:47pm on November 29, 2008, Doug Ott said…
Jim, Figures that after you asked about the fire duty that things picked up. None of them were anything to write home about and no one got hurt. But it's still better than sitting in the recliner and reading.
At 2:25pm on November 29, 2008, Art Zern said…
Jim,

Thanks for your insightful comments on my blog post "Relections on the Indy VES video". I think you were right in the mark.

Thanks Brother,

Art
At 11:27pm on November 28, 2008, Josh Materi said…
Hey Jim,
Thanks for posting the comments from Capt Van Sant.
You ever get a chance to work with Double E?

Materi
FTM-PTB
At 12:50pm on November 28, 2008, Kurt Callisen said…
We only go that far south when the chit hits the fan
At 7:20pm on November 26, 2008, Kurt Callisen said…
Hi Lt. thanks for having me. In Niles we run 2 engines with 3 men and 1 truck with 3. Also 2 ambos. On a fire we get 2 engines and 1 truck with the ambos being part of there engine. So that makes 14 counting the chief. Once someone is on the scene and confirms a fire than the alarm is upgraded bring 1 more eng. truck squad chief and ambo.

Kurt

Policy Page

PLEASE NOTE

The login above DOES NOT provide access to Fire Engineering magazine archives. Please go here for our archives.

CONTRIBUTORS NOTE

Our contributors' posts are not vetted by the Fire Engineering technical board, and reflect the views and opinions of the individual authors. Anyone is welcome to participate.

For vetted content, please go to www.fireengineering.com/issues.

We are excited to have you participate in our discussions and interactive forums. Before you begin posting, please take a moment to read our community policy page.  

Be Alert for Spam
We actively monitor the community for spam, however some does slip through. Please use common sense and caution when clicking links. If you suspect you've been hit by spam, e-mail peter.prochilo@clarionevents.com.

FE Podcasts

Check out the most recent episode and schedule of
UPCOMING PODCASTS

© 2024   Created by fireeng.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service