As we start the week off, lets take today to review your departments MAYDAY policies. These tasks, procedures and policies need to be practiced and reinforced through training constantly. We sometimes put this off to one time a year or when the next monthly drill is about RIT/RIC to brush up on these crucial tasks. Take some time today to go over these things:
- What is your department’s procedure for calling a MAYDAY?
- What is the information that the MAYDAY firefighter or crew needs to relay to the IC or crews outside?
- Can you activate your emergency button on your radio (if you have one) with gloves on? If you can’t there are tricks to do that…
- Can you blindly make the connection to buddy breath for a downed firefighter, RIGHT NOW without practice?
- Are you blindly familiar with your department RIT/RIC pack?
If you cannot answer YES to all these questions, then get out of the chair or push back from the kitchen table and get out on the apparatus floor and work on them with yourself and your company.