Department:
University Fire Department
Title/rank:
Captain
Years of public service:
Agency structure:
Paid fire department
Top issues in your department:
Finding ways to overcome manpower issues, ever increasing costs and time shortages and still provide the 22,000 people in our service area and on the campus with excellent service.
Professional Qualifications:
AAS degree in Municipal Fire Control.
Alaska State and IFSAC FFI, II, Driver/Oper.,Officer I, Instr. I, and RIT Tech., Swiftwater Tech I and II, Ice Rescue, Low to High Angle Rope and Confined Space Technician.
Calif. State FF I and Heavy Rescue I.
I have been teaching in the public and private sector since 1997.
Topics you provide training for:
Taught technical rescue with Tim Kelahan's Rescue Co., formerly of Fairbanks Alaska, from 1997 to 2002, teaching Swiftwater, Ice Rescue, Confined Space and Rope Rescue.
Currently Adjunct teacher for Community Technical College of the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Am currently teaching or have taught Building Construction for Fire Protection, Advanced Rescue Practices.

I offer lectures on company leadership and devotion to the profession.

Lead instructor for a class developed from the Alaska State RIT guidelines and the R.I.C.O. concept. Focus goes beyond the basics of RIT technician and into officer performance, company teamwork and skills for needed for reaching and extricating downed firefighters. Throughout the class firefighters are pushed to their limits as they work in company sized teams to achieve a rescue or complete survival objectives.
Areas of expertise:
A student of the art of firefighting, leadership and brotherhood. Join me on my blog at www.leatherhead109.com or find my writing through FireEMSblogs.com

DrillMaster for the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Comm. Technical College FF I Academy, with 12 years of experience in taking folks off the street and developing recruits.
Bio:
Joined the fire service in 1990 in Southern California hired as a Paid Call Firefighter in Orange County Fire Authority (then Orange County Fire). Entered career service in 1994 through the Federal Fire Service, re-entering the municipal sector in 2001 as a Captain at the University Fire Dept. Have spent the past twelve years teaching technical rescue, building construction, leadership and rapid intervention.

Awards:
Recieved the Fairbanks Lions Club Community Service Award,
Alaska Interior Fire Chiefs Company Officer of the Year, Alaska Interior Fire Chiefs Instructor of the Year, 2013 F.O.O.L. of the Year for the Fraternal Order of Leatherhead Society.

Founding President of the Farthest North F.O.O.L.S., a Chapter of the Fraternal Order of Leatherheads Society and the 2007 recipients of the John Mickel Award for Brotherhood. In February of 2015 I was appointed Secretary for the F.O.O.L.S. International E-Board.
Web site:
http://www.leatherhead109.com

Comment Wall:

Load Previous Comments
  • Chad Berg

Wow! great words on the FOOLS site brother. You never cease to amaze me, and noboby can put it to paper (or computer) better than than Watash, the warrior poet.
    Well done friend.
  • Adam Bean

Hey Ben,
    Things are goin, I'm actually sitting in a city EMT-I class right now which will get me back on the line by December hopefully unless s*** changes again which is a definate possibility. Their playing the SAFER act game and still trying the grievence/arbitration avenue. I'm working on some other things too, I had an interview for a dept. a little closer to home the end of last month, waiting to here if I get a second interview. Hope things are goin good at the University. Great article on the International site, I appreciate everything you guys did for me more than you could know. Talk to you soon.

Adam
  • Jodie Denike

Hello there. Thanks for droppin in. Saw Tim yesterday (quarterly drill)...made the mistake of calling him little, haha. I think he's lookin forward to gettin out of here tho, for a little while at least. How's it goin up there with over a million acres burning?! That's just crazy! I hope all is well :)
  • Eric Hankins

Hey Bro, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... You know with all the new technology things are harder to remember. I got notification of your post on my Crackberry, said to myself "I'll reply later this evening" and what do you know, it's been a least a week.

I agree this site is better for the ones that "Get it" I have been horrible about checking it lately. And even worse about posting up things!!!

Sounds like today is a bad day In Buffalo. I know Mike will take it very hard. He is truley a Fireman's Chief and he considers each and every member of BFD a Brother. Sounds like the two men died for the right reasons though. Sad to say, but true.

Shoot me your email as soon as you can. I am trying to get an insurance meeting set-up soon.

Thanks for the ad and Take Care Brother. I miss you guys!!!

Be safe and Have Fun!!!!

Hankins
  • Josh Materi

Thanks for checking in Brother. Life is good, about to get married Oct. 3rd. Work is great! When will you be down again?

Josh Materi
    Ladder 3
  • Jason Franklin

Life is good! My wife gave birth to our daughter 7 months ago and I am loving every minute of this new life.

Last we talked, the department was still in disarray, but now two of the chiefs are gone. So the waters have calmed but we are still drifting at the moment.

Be safe,

Jason
  • Rich Driscoll

I got to your page from FB and it seemed like a great opportunity to get signed up. I must say, your writing is very inspirational. I printed a few of the articles you wrote and will share them with my guys at work. Thanks for the kick in the pants I needed.

Stay safe. FTM-PTB-EGH
  • Dan Rice

Hello,
    Just wanted to say thanks for the add. Also thank you for your input on the discussion of our own worst enemy. Hope things are well, stay safe.
    Dan
  • Dan Rice

Actions not words I think could be the all around answer to half the problems we face! Keep fanning the flames brother!!
    Dan
  • Todd McKee

Hey Ben! It would not allow me to reply to your email. Here is my personal cell 740 507 8802. If you could call me during the day on Monday or around 6pm Ohio time. I could explain more about the BHSC Project. Thanks for keeping in touch!
    Your friend,
    Todd McKee
  • Larry Glover

Hey Brother, I need some advice on working with the younger generation.
  • Christian Cossey

How's it going?
  • Christian Cossey

I'm not back yet. I'm having my surgery december 1st then seven months of rehab then I will be back.
  • Adam Bean

Hey Ben, I hope all is well in the great north. Good news today, I got through all of the classroom, clinicals and passed the state test today for my EMT-I. Which means going back to work next week!!! Its been a rough 6 months but its over for now. Thanks for everything.

A.J.B.
  • Christian Cossey

Working the brain is always a good thing. I never stop doing that lol.
  • Christian Cossey

I can imagine lol. It's good hearing from you as well. My holiday was boring as usual. Just sat at home doing nothing lol. Twelve more hours and I go in for surgery, can't wait to get it over with.
  • Christian Cossey

Thank you. Surgery went well. Oddly enough my hip hurts more from the hip graft than my clavicle does and the clavicle had more work done on it.
  • Christian Cossey

So what station do you work out of again. I may have asked before, but I forgot if I did or not. Sorry.
  • Christian Cossey

That's sounds like a nive little set-up you got going there.
  • Christian Cossey

That's great that you're in a department you like and respect. That's gotta be worth something.
  • Christian Cossey

Well I'm really glad it worked out for you.
  • Todd McKee

Ben what did you think of those pictures that I sent you? Are you cold yet? Your friend Todd McKee
  • Dan Rice

Ben,
    Hope everythings going well up your way. I am still waiting to hear back from the local FOOLS chapter to see what s going on with that. Just thought I’d touch base and say hi.
    Stay Safe

Dan
  • Larry Glover

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family! Take care and stay safe Brother!
  • Doug Price

Brother Just wanted to wish u and urs a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !! Keep up the good work.

KTF!!
  • Christian Cossey

I was healing up well until I decided to go for a mountain bike ride today by the lake and fell down a 30 foot cliff and had to have a helicopter ride to the trauma room. Nothing too serious. Just got some whiplash, a nice bump on my head, some bruising on my back and side, and just plain sore all over. How are you doing? Thanks for checking in.
  • Christian Cossey

I know I'm just scared that I'm not going to be healed in time or clearing in time by March 6 and that worries me. I miss the job so much.
  • Michael Haefner

I swear im going to stop by one of these days. Maybe saturday.
  • Brandon Roark

So here I am working on Truck 3, and whos at the wheel? Gunderson...we have spent the morning talking about you!!
  • Ben Fleagle

Oh #$%&@*! Tell the boy I said "Spike has got it allll under control!!!"
  • Dan Rice

Well Capt. no luck with the Central Ohio FOOLS so far. I'm trying to get out and see what and where there might be another chapter somewhat close to me. I hope all is well your way and you're stayin warm.
    Stay Safe
    Dan Rice
  • Scott Richardson

Thanks Brother! Nicole is home from the hospital after six weeks at Children's. She is making progress every day. We hope to get her eating soon. Right now she get TPN (IV) feeding 20 hours a day. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

BE SAFE!
    Scott
  • Josh Holt

I need some advice for painting my leather helmet. Do you think rust oleum high heat spay on primer will work. it can withstand up to 2000 F.
  • Larry Glover

It is my twin Brother's paid department. Thank you Brother.
  • Josh Holt

Thanks Ben. This is going to be my first time doing this and is a little nerves about doing this to my helmet.
  • Josh Holt

I will post a picture when I'm done with the helmet. Thanks
  • Christian Cossey

What have you been up to lately? Hope everything is good in your neck of the woods. Stay safe.
  • Christian Cossey

How did you pull a muscle in your leg? We have been having massive amounts of car wrecks here because of all the rain. Californians aren't used to I guess lol. I'm healing up okay. Trying to stay off my bike so it stays that way. I see the surgeon this week and hopefully he has good news for me.
  • Christian Cossey

Sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon. I can relate somewhat. Since my hip graft I've been having horrible hip pain. I can't sleep on the side that I had surgery on because it goes numb, and I can't sleep on the other side because my hip feels uneven in an awkward way causing shooting pain. I can sleep on my back for a while, but not for long. Just something I'm going to have to get use to I suppose. Lately I've had another problem bugging the crap out of me so my pain hasn't been too bad cause I haven't been focused on it. Good for the pain, bad that I got a worse problem to deal with.
  • Rick Lasky

I will give him a ring brother!

Be safe

Rick
  • Shawn Tibbitts

Hi Ben
    I thought I would let you know im climbing off my soap box this week and helping my Lt redo his leather helmet. Although I have preached my gospel to him on leather he still insists on painting it. So im back at your page to get some good advice on painting from your post. I forgot to mention before, but it looks like your helmet turned out beautiful! Nice job!!! And thanks for the tips, I will be cringing the whole time, but thats just me. we have agreed to disagree :) lol. Take care and be safe. and thanks again
  • Shawn Tibbitts

I would like to hear that story as well:)
  • Larry Glover

Hey Brother, I haven't forgotten your t-shirt. The dept hasn't placed the order yet. Hope you and your family are doing great. Stay Safe Brother.
  • Christian Cossey

I'm been taking it kinda slow since the incident, riding bikes is my escape from all the s*** in life. That's why it's so hard not to have an adrenaline rush if that makes any sense at all.
  • Christian Cossey

Yeah, I fractured my hip, over-extended my knee, re-fractured my clavicle that I just had surgery on in December, bent the plate that they put in that same clavicle, and got a nice gash on my forehead lol. And it wasn't from a motorcycle, it was from my BMX bike while I was dirt jumping. There was a jump about six feet tall and I got about five feet of air on top of that plus I over cleared the landing, so I fell about 11 feet to flat bottom compacted dirt. Plus when I threw my bike to get away from it, it bounced back and landed on top of me lol. This time I'm really going to take the time to heal up a little before I start riding again. Fishing sounds fun. I wish I could go fishing... Lol.
  • Dan Rice

Brother Ben,
    I hope things are safe and sound for you. I was finally able to make contact with a local FOOLS chapter here in Ohio. just wanted to drop a line and say hi, be safe.
  • Michael Bricault (ret)

Thanks for the kind thoughts Brother. I agree with you... throw the tv out of the day room and get rid of the X box too.
  • Tony Gillan

It worked this way Brother, See ya in Sept at the convention...
  • Tony Gillan

Cant wait to meet a lot of you guys in person, its gonna be a blast.....
  • Larry Glover

The guys absolutely loved the pictures and the videos. Thank you for the Respect and Honor You and your guys showed for it. Hopefully it was a great learning tool for your recruits. Thanks again and thanks for the patches and memorial stickers.

Keep Traditions Alive!!