Combination fire department
Top issues in your department:
Manpower and Staffing
Professional Qualifications:
Firefighter II; NREMT-B; HazMat Technician; Fire Instructor I; Fire Officer I
Topics you provide training for:
Ground Ladders; Search and Rescue; RIT
Areas of expertise:
Editorial Cartoonist for Fire Engineering, Fireengineering, and JEMS.

Ground Ladders; Search and Rescue; RIT
Bio:
Paul Combs is a classically trained artist, award winning illustrator, and firefighter/EMT. That’s right, this unlikely combination has made Paul one of the most compelling and distinctive cartoonist/illustrators in America today. Paul burst onto the scene of emerging illustrators with a refreshing new style that married classical realism, manic energy and a zany imagination for caricature. His lavishly detailed illustrations are published worldwide in newspapers, magazines (print and online), and books. He also contributes editorial cartoons to Fire Engineering magazine, Fire Engineering.com, JEMS, and Public Safety Communications on a monthly basis.
In conjunction with his career as an illustrator, Lieutenant Combs is a fifteen-year veteran firefighter for the city of Bryan (Ohio) Fire Department where he is a Firefighter II, NREMT-B, HazMat Technician and Instructor for the City of Bryan Fire Training Academy.

Paul is the author of Drawn By Fire.
Web site:
http://www.artstudioseven.com

Comment Wall:

• Todd McKee

Brother Feel free to join a HazMat Group NEWS AND TRAINING. Your work is great! Remember be safe and train as training will save lives
  • Kelby Childers

I just have to say that your work is awesome. The messages in them are wonderful for sharing with the rest of the fire service. Thank you!
  • TR Hagerty

I love your art work so much of it touches home. Keep the good work Brother TR Hagerty Angola Fire
  • Steve Gooley

You are talented.
  • Tim Zehnder

Paul I love your work and refer people to it often, keep up the good work and be safe
  • Jeff Betz

Hi Paul, nice to see you here. I love your work, I like to refer to them when teaching. I especially like the fact that you are not too far from my area here in Michigan. Take care brother, keep up the good work.
  • Todd McKee

Paul send me some good HazMat cartoons, I would love to use them in my powerpoint. Of course I will give you the credit.
  • Eric Beaulieu

Love the work, I make it a point to post it every month in everyone of our 3 stations. I as well as the other instructors in my department refer to it during many training sessions.
  • Eric Beaulieu

The Volunteer vs. Career editorials definately get some blood boiling since we are a combination department.
  • Eric Beaulieu

I tend to stay neutral having spent 6 years on the volunteer side prior to working. I have a great working relationship personally with all the volunteers. Most of the at due to being the assistant training officer for the department. I have trained every one of the volunteer officers so there is a lot of mutual respect there. There are still some career guys that believe an all career department is the way to go but try selling that to a rural Town Council now a days. We are lucky to have a paid Chief to answer to. It is still a work in pregress since we were 2 departments just a couple of years ago (forced consilidation). I think that is where a lot of the issues stem from.
  • Timothy Overly

Love your work. I have used them to open some great discussions , especially the career vs. volunteer attitudes and the ones about our health and safety issues. Keep up the great work you do in brining attention to the issues that directly affect us. Thank You
  • Bryn Crandell

Great work. If only everyone could view your work and understand it. I can't remember how many times I've had to explain some of your cartoons to people I've worked with. (Non-fire service folks).
  • Art Zern

Paul,

I really enjoy your work, especially the ones with more of an edge. It is really a talent to be able to deliver a concise message.....most of us take a long time and many words to get to the point. Your work usually hits the mark directly and with little said.
  • Jason Franklin

Not to sound like a broken record... but thanks for saying what needs to be said!
  • Ben Marler

I've got to tell you. You can say more with one sentence in a cartoon than some instructors can say in eight hours. Please keep it up. FTM-PTB
  • Todd McKee

Welcome to the World's Greatest Training Community. This is where the serious trainers come to learn and grow from each other. We are very pleased to have you a part of our community!
    Please allow me to invite you to join the group called UNIQUE HAZMAT INCIDENTS, I will be presenting this at the 2009 FDIC in Indy. and I would love to have your input on some of our discussions.
  • Brian Meroney

Love the Cartoons. I look forward to new ones each month.
  • Dan Rice

I just wanted to say thank you for all the work you put forth in opening the eyes of our fellow firefighters and making them more aware of the present issues facing us today. Keep up the good work and be safe!!

Dan Rice
  • Dan Rice

That’s pretty crazy truly, I thought the only people that knew anyone from Martinsburg where…. Well from Martinsburg. Well if you’re every down our way shoot me a message and you can come down and check out our station if you’d like. Have a good one
  • Todd McKee

Hey PAUL! I work with dan and I saw your convo about in laws in martinsburg, my in laws live in bladensburg just a mile or so away good s tuff
  • EDUARDO ESCUDERO

Dear Paul
    I`m a chilean FF, and we enjoy your cartoons a lot, they are very direct and also absolutely universal.
    Receiva a big hug
  • Rick Lasky

Hi Paul,

Hope all is going well brother!!

Be safe.

Rick
  • Mike Daley

Absolutely! Keep up the great work!!

MPD
  • Ron Ayotte

Awesome artwork, Paul!
  • Bill Herman

Paul -

Big fans of your artwork here !

Please check your email (paulcombs@cityofbryan.net) regarding an annual fundraiser we do here for the Great Lakes Burn Camp. Would love and appreciate a donation of art from you.

Cheers!

• Mike France

PAul - have a great idea for one here, My Wife Dee is a FF, Plus DEC Ranger and was diagnosed with Breast Cancer , idead how about some thing to show FF's supporting Cancer awareness . thanks and keep up the good work
  • Ron Antalek

Superior artist! Always enjoy the artwork and then study the message. Keep up the great work it inspires an entire nation of firefighters!